TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesTechnologyInventions and their Implications

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2 3 4 5  »
Author

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Inventions and their Implications
Nov 9, 2007

What invention do you think has had the most positive impact on humanity? And which has made the most negative impact in your opinion?

I think most inventions can be seen as neutral, but how we choose to utilize the invention determines what kinds of impact it will have. We also have to remember that how we choose to utilize the invention can bring about both positive and negative impacts simultaneously. For example, the automobile has enabled us to travel over great distances and has provided us the opportunity to increase trade but this act also has negative impacts such as pollution.

There are some inventions that I do not think have any socially redeeming values and those inventions are weapons. I feel that the use and reliance on weapons ignores deeper societal problems and instead of trying to solve them we skip to the easier solution and turn to violence.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile JoAnneT PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Waleed Sorour

Poster Rank: Talkative
Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Male, 27
Province/State: Al Qahirah
City: Cairo
Re: Inventions and their Implications
Nov 10, 2007

I see that any change in the nature, will not benifit.

When the cars was invinted, no one was interested with the carbon exhausted, now they are interested and their is electrical cars now.

Do you think that electrical cars have no bad effects on the nature, actually till now their no thing, but who know the future? magnitic field, high volt ............

We invint to get enjoyed and relax, but like the medicine any invention have a side effects.

Member Profile youth2day PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
dot

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 25
Nov 11, 2007

To me, the most important invention is electricity. Imagine that there is no electricity, what will your day be?There is also no networking, internet,broadcast,...Everything would be made by hands: clothes,funitures,..What type of transports would we use at that time?Trains, ships,.......or on feet?All of activities would be limited. We couln't stand here and tell about our thinking about this world to each other.What would we be?

Member Profile dotdot PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Jo

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Nov 12, 2007

Sometimes I feel the same way as you Youth2day. It seems like there is a trend happening where we are now realizing all the negative affects of our inventions and desperately trying to get back to nature. I think that the balance in the world gets thrown off the more and more we remove our selves from nature. I also think that we should live our lives in a way that is close to nature for example eating more natural foods (as processed foods aren’t as healthy) and living in a sustainable way.

I’ve also noticed that the more we detach ourselves from what is natural the more likely we will experience stress, exhaustion, and disconnect. For example, as social creatures, humans have a need to be with family and friends and when we are busy working long hours and not able to spend time with those we care about we feel anxiety and experience burn out. Another, more basic physiological, example of unnaturalness leading to unhealthy, unbalanced lives is seen in what we eat. The more we eat ‘unnatural foods’ like processed foods the more preservatives, artificial flavours, and unhealthy ingredients which lead things like not getting proper nutrition.

However, while I do recognize the fact that we should live more naturally to feel a sense of balance I also appreciate things like electricity and the internet, because I think that these inventions could be used in positive ways like acting as a platform for education and communication.

Do you think that our inventions could be an extension of our natural instincts? For example, the internet is an extension of our need to be part of a community and our desire to communicate?

Member Profile JoAnneT PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Sophie Luo

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Female, 22
Province/State: Illinois
Feb 7, 2008

I agree that inventions are often an extension of our instincts- for the most part, inventions are created through someone's desire to fill in a gap that was missing in some part of society. The problem is that by filling in one gap, that new invention could simultaneously be creating another gap, like you mentioned with the car. So then more people work on filling in the new gap, and others work on inventing solutions for the new gaps from the new gaps... and so on. I think overall the effect is positive on society- innovation is one of the most fundamental forces behind what drives a country forward.

Member Profile philosophie PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Ojo Adeola Gabriel

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Male, 34
Province/State: Lagos
City: Lagos
Oct 27, 2008

shocked

why ask this question when all innovations are within the control of men. no invention is better than the other as all are relevant.

the real question should be as to whether we have as people been properly utilizing these technologies to our own benefit!!!

Member Profile gabrieladeola PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
the1ultimate

Gender & Age: Male, 24
Nov 16, 2008

Inventions are of course neither good or bad on their own.
I think we are overly dependant on cars, and now we are suffering the consequences. Carbon emissions damage the environment, and most people know that, but people seem to have difficulty tying even obvious consequences to actions when these actions are widespread and/or have no immediate impact. No one ever thought that there was an infinite supply of oil, so why is our economy so dependant on it?
Still, what is the alternative? Not to trust anybody with any technology?
My favourite invention is the dynamo. What could be simpler than a permanent magnet rotating around a wire coil? With this technology it is within our grasp to be using 100% clean energy to power our homes, and cars. Perhaps some sort of radical laws are necessary to see clean (i.e. water or wind) generators and solar cells become more widespread?
Fortunately the increasing price of petrol will probably do what peoples social consciences have so far failed to; accelerate development of clean technology.
What we really need to get clean cars off the ground is a more efficient battery.

Member Profile the1ultimate PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
alex

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Male, 29
Province/State: Nordrhein-Westfalen
City: Bochum
Feb 17, 2009

i dont think there`s any invention with a negative impact.
it`s the form of use witch make`s inventions to bad inventions, don`t you think so?

Member Profile geoalex PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Otis

Gender & Age: Male, 24
Province/State: Saint Catherine
City: Spanish Town
Aug 14, 2009

i agree with the previous statement about all inventions having negative effects. While technology has aided us greatly, we need to look at the effects they are having on the world around us. The more "effiecient" we become, the worst off it is. As said earlier, no one studied the effects car exhausts would have and now look where we are..... climate change is a big issue, burning oil is another problem, so now we are looking to go solar, hydro and other stuff. But what effect will these have? there was a period during Global Warming, where a thing called Global Dimming was more Prevalent. For those who dont know, eva saw older cars with really dirty looking exhaust? eva wonder where all that smot goes? contrary to popular thought it doesnt jus blend in naturally with the air...it rises and rises until its high in the atmosphere limiting the total amount of sunlight that passes through causing the earths temperature and evaporation rate to fall. This phenomenon was dubbed "Global Dimming". Once that was taking care of, the temperature of the earth started going back up, but because of Global Warming which was now more prevalent, we got a bigger heat boost than we wished for. What then will happen will solar panels absorbing all the energy from sunlight? how many habitats will be destroyed by the construction of dams for Hydro? What will be the effect of wind mils taking energy from the wind? we need to learn from the mistakes of our forefathers and study all possible effects of our inventions and not allow them to take us by surprise when we've already become too attached to them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
!xotîz

Member Profile Oats162 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Dee

Gender & Age: Male, 25
Province/State: Georgia
City: Atlanta
Aug 21, 2009

I would say the internet. It changed the way we communicate.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
find everything @ www.yourfindit.com

Member Profile yourfindit PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
mclato

Virtual Volunteer

Province/State: Akwa Ibom
City: Uyo
Nov 7, 2009

The power of Inventions is the driver that has brought us where we are today. from electricity to building materials, flying on air, sea, rail; the possibility of invisible communication; converting wood and leaves to writing material, soap, medicine and so much more.

Invention was meant for improvement and innovation. The negative aspect is the usage by users.

However, we have seen alot but we are yet to witness great inventions. WATCH OUT!

Member Profile unyimeabasi PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
alex

Poster Rank:

Nov 8, 2009

there`S one thing i`d like to discuss.
in my opinion, there existed studies of climate change, globalization, future transnational econemy and so on.
even von weizsäcker gave out some analyses between automobile use and railway. espacially with aspect of CO2 and nature.
he also presented some ways how to fight aainst these problems.
others saw quiet erly, that technology also was the main factor to say about the developed degree of a nation.
this must have changed in the 20th century! technology was no more the slowest part of the developing-degree, it overtook the glabalization-prozess as it is now one of the fastest parts in the process itsself.
if investigation should be concentraded on now technology with positive effects on nature(as far as possible),
we also have to research culturell knogledge

Elaine Cohen

Gender & Age: Female, 55
Nov 25, 2009

I like to think that the Tech of today will bring us to a Healthy Future of Tommorw

But if People are misslead about its uses, and of corse its consuquences, then what is happening now will continue

Everyone Knew that the Dirt of the Industrial Revelotion, needed to be cleaned up. But

It was eazer for those who in the fast track to personal wealth, that lead the genrel public astray

But I still belive it is Human Ingenuty those with Great Dreams, that will invent what new Tech we need

to the Future
Love
E

Member Profile Edenstory PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
alex

Poster Rank:

Nov 25, 2009

in this case i can`t understand,
why industrial staates don`t give technology for free into developing countrys.
what`s the reason to pay the bill for that more and more staates grow up into industrial ?
how shall we explain these action to our childs, we do today?
it`s a shame how we are acting and living. me too, i think, sometimessad

Kate23

Gender & Age: Female, 40
Province/State: North Carolina
City: Hickory
Dec 8, 2009

An invention is usually brought about by a certain need. What is wrong is when you use an invention to do something wrong.

--------
Kate
MedifastHealth.org

Member Profile Kate23 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM