FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3 4 5 6  »
Author

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Gauteng
City: Johannesburg
Re: Engaging youth in Politics
Feb 16, 2010

smilesmilesmile[quote][i think taht by possibly using social networking sites such as facebook and twitter to tell the youth about political issues might help to get them intersted.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile Charmed3 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Emma

Province/State: British Columbia
City: Vancouver
Mar 1, 2010

I think the solution would be to lower the voting age. When people begin voting at a young age, they are more likely to continue voting later on. With integration of the political system into the curriculum and actual voting integrated into high schools, the government would be able to reach the broadest amount of people within a generation. After high school other methods become less efficient because people take many different paths. The mock vote is a step forward but it still sends the message that their vote doesn't matter and it does not attach the same responsibility with voting and undermines the importance of youth engagement.

Member Profile efajeau PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Katherine

Poster Rank: Talkative

Mar 2, 2010

I personally think lowering the voting age is a bad idea because 16 abd 17 year olds are not mature enough to handle the drama in high school so there is no way they are ready for the "real world" issues. Even for those rare teens who are informed and mature, they have no incentive to vote because it doesn't affect them yet. They don't pay taxes, have an actual career, family (for the most part most don't have a full family such as children and spouse) so it makes sense that they are not at all interested. I think thats why even young adults aren't because its' when you are older that you have time to pay attention and all these issues actually affect your life.

Member Profile animalrights89 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Emma

Province/State: British Columbia
City: Vancouver
Mar 3, 2010

It is actually possible for a 16 year old to drop out a school, get a full time job and be paying income tax in Canada. There are also may other things these youth are allowed to do by the government, including joining the army. The whole argument of that they are not going to vote responsibly would be solved if it was actually integrated into the curriculum. Furthermore, the population of 16 and 17 year olds is quite small compared to the rest of the population, especially since we have an ageing population. The risks associated with letting them vote are quite small compared to the benefits that this would have with regards to voter representation. Finally, there is the idea "when you are older that you have time to pay attention and all these issues actually affect your life." The fact that these issues do not affect youth is a cause for their lack of engagement, but since they cannot vote, and those that do have such a low turnout, politicians do not have to address issues that affect them. There are many issues, such as education, healthcare, housing, the environment, that do affect them. Whether they are aware of it or not, this is another question, but the same could be said for older people. Last of all, I do not think that being older will necessarily give you more time to vote or become aware of the issues. Many adults are busy raising families and with their jobs. If we do have a voting system where only the elderly of our country voted, it would not be representative of our country and the issues addressed would have to be raised by them. For democracy we need as much representation possible, and this includes youth. To achieve this, we need a system that makes it possible for the youth to vote and for everyone to have their voice heard. The problem of low voter turnout is not in the youth themselves, but how the system is structured.

Member Profile efajeau PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
saleha batool

Gender & Age: Female, 28
Province/State: Sindh
City: Karachi
Jun 4, 2010

In my opinion youth does not trust the authorities thats why they are not involved in the main strem politics.. Here in pakistan the masses are fooled by the politions but the younger generation who is educated really don't trust them.

Member Profile rokxstar77 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Cameron

Province/State: Ad Dawhah
City: Doha
Jun 19, 2010

The problem is politics seems boring and takes up time. I am interested in politics and i am young, but the problem is i am one of the few. If we use media and the fashion know day maybe we could make politics look cool. Just like how those commercials for energy drinks make them look cool when they are unhealthy.

Member Profile Cameron77 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Muhammad Ahmad Raza

Gender & Age: Male, 33
Jul 23, 2010

http://discuss.tigweb.org/thread/437199/?start=0

Member Profile maraza PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Muhammad Ahmad Raza

Gender & Age: Male, 33
Jul 23, 2010

good views
also see

Member Profile maraza PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
doris

Jul 27, 2010

Well, the same happened in my country, Malaysia. Statistics in my country show that there are hundreds of thousands of people did not even bothered to register. And why is that?
In my opinion, youth may think involving themselves in the voting game is just a waste of their time, and serve no purpose since they only missed a vote.
They don't bother who rules the country as long as they got their life and future secure.
They don't even want to involve in politics. Newspaper have been reporting tonnes of politics cases everyday, and I bet it's one of the reason youth hates politics.
I am one of those youth out there so I can briefly understand how those political issues affect my view on voting and democracy.

Member Profile yinny PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
KEN

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Male, 29
Province/State: Hai Phong
City: Hai Phong
Jul 30, 2010

"They don't bother who rules the country as long as they got their life and future secure. "

I really appreciate this comment. Many people think that there is little connection between who prime minister is and their lives.

With many other, politic is a very complicated problem, they dont have enough knowledge to understand and they are too lazy to study about it. So, in stead of spending hours on assessing the candidates' economy policy, they just think that "oh man, my vote is just ONE vote, and some other knowledged people would make right decision for me"

I think we should educate kids from secondary school about macro economy, history, policies. If kids can understand candidates' policy as well as the affect of those policy on their lives, they would pay more attention to elections

This post was edited on: 2010-07-30 at 01:25 PM by: KEN

Member Profile tien PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Ronald E. Barron

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Province/State: Texas
City: Victoria
Aug 2, 2010

involving youth in voting is right decision and because the youth knows better who is better administration for them and secure their future.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
http://www.olinedegreetalk.org

Member Profile aleabby PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
KEN

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Hai Phong
City: Hai Phong
Aug 4, 2010

involving youth in voting is right decision and because the youth knows better who is better administration for them and secure their future.
-------------------------------

Oh, honestly, I think it's quite biased to say "the Youth knows better"

Member Profile tien PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Mohamed Eid

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Province/State: Woqooyi Galbeed
City: Hargeisa
Aug 17, 2010

Hi,

I think it's an early time that youth get involve at early time. It's better to reach firstly self-actualisation and than go to political environment.

Before that, youth must be master at general political waves nationally and internationally.

Member Profile EI PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Tidar Rachmadi

Aug 23, 2010

I think the sooner a generation get into politics the better one country would be in the next days. Joining in politics doesn't always have to be in election or voting. A 13-16ish could participating in one organisation or anything like that to increase diciplines and maybe responsibilities. Indonesia has many youth organisation which affiliated to political party and that might be one of the reason we become one of the largest democratic country.

Member Profile Tidar PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Yvette Dubel

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Aug 23, 2010

As someone who can now say I used to be a young person (in age) I am going to overcome my own hesitation and chime in on this.

Because I was surprised that no one put more attention on this I shall attempt to do so....

When I talk to smart young people I find myself ill equipped to counter their cynicism with any logically rehearsed talk about voting. Instead I have found conversations that confront the questions like those raised by Watch Dog Groups like blackboxvoting.org/

Those who don't question and have not been equipped to pull the curtains back to see and comprehend just what those controlling the wizard figure head is doing....well, that cultivated intellectual apathy has other consequences.

There is no simple answer to fix the symptom because it points to a broader systemic problem that is not localized it is systemic and in some ways culturally intrinsic -

Failure to cooperate with a corrupt system is a form of protest, even when it is not called that. Some times it is the safest and most accessible kind of protest.

These are the kind of issues I am exploring in my work.

I would invite anyone interested in this thread to contact me to explore how artist collaboration to create some public/community art can help communities delve into these kind of sticky issues.

All the best,
Yvette

Member Profile ydubel PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM