TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesHuman RightsDo pregnant teens have a right to continue school?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3 4  »
Author

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Female, 22
Re: Do pregnant teens have a right to continue school?
Mar 3, 2009

i think pregnant teens should definatly be able to revieve an education...in fact, i feel we should be more supportive of them continuing school...it'll make for a better life for them and their baby!!!

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile Mdewshman PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Diviya Shankar

Gender & Age: Female, 23
City: Petaling Jaya
Mar 15, 2009

I am all for education but I don't think pregnant teens should be allowed to continue schooling.

Going to school means being educated and if they somehow manage to get themselves pregnant while still in school, it's pretty obvious school hasn't done them much good. However so, in some cases it is not the fault of the studet especially where rape is concerned. Many schools do not teach their students to practice safe sex or at least encourage abstinence and instead simply expect their students to behave appropriately.Sex Education should be made a compulsory part of the school curriculum to help reduce the number of teenage pregnancies.

But this is not to say that the majority of these teens are unaware of the consequences of pre-marital sex. Many who practice this are those who are simply irresponsible.

I think that they should learn that their actions have consequences and sometimes things aren't always that easy. They should not depend on their parents, community or even foster homes to take care of their yet-to-be-born child. These teens should also have a part to play in looking after the baby...it would encourage them to be more responsible in their actions. The only way that these teens can look after the child is if they are not attending school.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
I know my rights and stand up for them whenever I can.

Member Profile Diviya PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Ca

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Female, 25
Province/State: Veneto
City: Padova
Mar 27, 2009

every child/teen should have the right to go to school, no matter if he/she has just a child or not.

Member Profile carmen89sto PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Omar ibn Anjum

Province/State: Oregon
City: Portland
Mar 27, 2009

Why should they not be able to continue school? It might be hard on them though, what with having a baby and all and going to school must be physically trying.

Member Profile adeltaY PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Katie CS

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Female, 26
Province/State: Ontario
City: Ottawa
Mar 31, 2009

bumbuwazed wrote:

However, only a few of you mention concrete steps that have been taken to make that possible in your countries.

This post was edited on: 2007-10-11 at 08:21 PM by: Kahendi

In Canada like in most developed countries, a pregnant teen's situation is completely dependent on the community she is living in. I grew up in a small town of 10,000 near ottawa. Here, parents' reactions to pregnancy vary from "Aww poor you, we'll support you and love you both" to "You whore, get out!".

Sex Ed is worsening the situation with our catholic schools teaching abstinence only and our public ones touching just the provincally-required basics in a way that has us forgetting by lunch what we were just taught about crabs, etc.

Support come not from governments but from local efforts including religious groups but most support falls to the family.

The truth is Sex Happens and will continue to. Sex ed. needs to be taught so we remember it and use it. Pregnancy's not a mistake, its an unlucky outcome to what alot of teens get away with most of the time. Even at my university in North Bay, the level of ignorance is horrible. Most women have sex without using condoms because they think their birth control is all the protection they need!

What can we do? Spread the word. No one remembers sex ed but peer-to-peer education works amazingly. "Stacey, you have to use a condom every time, birth control isn't 100%, its way better to use both especially when birth control won't protect you from HIV and that could kill you" could literally save a life or a dozen.

Member Profile unstr8k8 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Kat Wozniak

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Female, 24
Province/State: California
City: Santa Barbara
Apr 27, 2009

I believe pregnant teens have every right to continue their education. However, it must be addressed that although they are the same age as their peers at school, they are no longer children--now they have a great responsibility, and no matter how they deal with the issue of their pregnancy (abortion, adoption, keeping the child) they will never be the same young person they were before the pregnancy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
"The purpose of life is this: To give more than we have, to believe though we have no hope, to love through every pain and sorrow, and lastly to make life a little bit better for everyone else."

Member Profile Roxenshadow PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Chelsea Cagaoan

Gender & Age: Female, 22
Province/State: Hawaii
City: Honolulu
Apr 30, 2009

I'll keep it short and simple: Everyone has a right to their own education.

Member Profile cndcagaoan PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Mai-Erin18

Province/State: Alberta
City: Stony Plain
Feb 18, 2010

of course pregnant teens should be able to continue education!! there should be a huge EMPHASIS on it to be honest! We are lacking in our resources for teens who are in these situations, in that a girl who is pregnant or has a baby typically drops out or goes to outreach because it is harder for her to try and take care of her child while getting her homework done, going to classes etc. Having a social life is hard enough and taking away a girls right to an education just because she is a soon to be mom is just wrong!! Plain and simply i think that we should amp up the resources to specialize in assisting young mothers to follow their dreams and reach their goals not take them away because they are moms under a certain circumstance.

Member Profile Mai-Erin18 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Kayla Bayduk

Apr 12, 2011

I honestly can say that I believe that pregnant teens should continue school because then they can get more mature. If they get more mature then they can raise the baby better. Only if my mom had went back to school after she had me at age 15 then maybe she would have made better decisions. sad But oh well. But if you are reading this and you are pregnant STAY IN SCHOOL AND GET A GOOD EDUCATION so you can provide for your child!!!!

Member Profile rysebayduk PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Sam Anderson

Gender & Age: Female, 20
May 22, 2011

Of course they have the right! Personally, I think that it is just wrong for schools to do that! A school's job to teach young minds regardless of their student's situation. If they are so against teen sex, then why isn't the father of the baby expelled too?
There are so many ways a young mother can take care of her baby and still go to school!

Member Profile simplyrawgirl PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
chijinco

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Province/State: Anambra
City: Awka
Nov 18, 2011

who wanna dispute that?they have great future ahead

Member Profile chijinco PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
amy

Jan 26, 2012

They should definitely resume their education. Going back to school and finishing it will help them achieve a much higher work opportunity that will help in raising their kids. I know teens makes mistakes but who doesn't. Hopefully this will teach them in responsibility and will enable them to mature for their children.

This post was edited on: 2012-01-26 at 01:59 AM by: amy

Member Profile holly1500 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Taylor English

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Jan 31, 2012

Of course pregnant teens have a right to continue school. Just because some teens get pregnant earlier in life than some others doesn't mean that they have done anything wrong. It doesn't make them a different person, they're the same as everyone else and should be treated with just as much respect. Furthering their education will only do good. It will help them improve their life and their child's.

Member Profile tayenglish PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Mudds

Province/State: Auckland
City: Auckland
Feb 9, 2012

smile we should be more supportive for teens. and i absolutly think that they should be aloud to go back to school. I have a cousin who has a baby and her and her partner decided to go back to school. If they can do it then the rest of the teens can.

Member Profile BobbyGurl PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
ivanjeric

Gender & Age: Male, 19
Province/State: Zagrebacka
City: Zadar
Feb 28, 2012

In my school every generation of students have one pregnant girl,but it isnt problem in our school.They can continue their education,even more,our school helps in buying stuff for baby.It is inconceivable to me that pregnant girls gets expelled from school shocked

Member Profile ivanjeric PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM