TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesHuman RightsDo pregnant teens have a right to continue school?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3 4  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Female, 23
Re: Do pregnant teens have a right to continue school?
Nov 11, 2007

Why wouldnt they?

mabey this is a little dense of me, but, the need this education. It is the basis of a good life, take that away, and you are not taking into account the best interest of the teen and her child.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile verdeamante PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
hayadin

Province/State: Jakarta Raya
Nov 11, 2007

ofcourse, They have rights to pass the study, and create beeter future life.

Member Profile hayadin PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Robert Amoafo

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 29
Province/State: Greater Accra
City: Accra
Nov 13, 2007

The way to combat this stigmatisation is to prevent it i from happening.
girls should do their best to abstain and be free from shame and stigmatisation.
if they can't then they should use contraceptives or the condom.
they should think about their future and forget about the 7 minutes excitment they will get from sex.
Young people must learn to be responsible and value their their lives.
For those who are already in it, there need to be some education to the parents and the schools about the fact that the right to education and right to association does not exempt pregnant people.

Member Profile nanakweku PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
KIRUNGI

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Female, 39
Nov 13, 2007

pregnant teens have a right to continue school after giving birth. In uganda we also have the same atitude like the way they treat pregnant teens. So i would just advice you
1.These pregnant teens should first apologise to they parent so that they agree to pay tution,cause with out apology the parents woun't know that thier daughter still wants to finish her studies.
2. I f the teen's pregnant should agree with the father of the kid incase she wants to finish studies on the way they are going to raise the baby cause if they don't agree,she will not concetrate on studies.
3. teens have right to continue cause with out education they is no a bright future.
4. Teens are always successfull once they go back to school due to the suffering they have passed through. So with the determination they are able to settle down pass.

Member Profile trishak PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Tosin O.

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 37
Province/State: Lagos
Nov 28, 2007

Do pregnant teens have a right to continue school?

Yes, they do have the right to continue school, because the law hasn't said otherwise stick
out tongue. . Morealso, the law has made it clear that every human right must be cherished by custom and protected! Education is a human right and not a priviledge.

Member Profile Olowotee PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Elif Urgan

Gender & Age: Female, 29
Dec 5, 2007

Heyy!!

Well, I'm also comin from a conservative culture (Turkey). Especially when it comes to pregnancy...

In Turkey, it's common to hear that a women is killed by her father, brother, oncle or a relative because she was raped. So, you can imagine what happens if she get into a sexual intercourse with her own will.

While the culture is like that, which is totally against human rights, of course the schools do not accept the women who are pregnant. -by school i mean primary-secondary schools and high school- In Universities, well, of course it is allowed.

Right now, I'm in Finland as an exchange student and at first I was really surprised to see how young the mothers here. The age average is around 23-25 I suppose. After I observed this, I found out that everywhere it is full of possibilities for young parents. For instance, you can find babychairs in the university cafeteria, there are always places for the strollers. There are free day-care services. Everything is provided for the child and so young parents can go on with their carriers.

I wish this could happen in Turkey too. But we are so so far away from that point right now. The first thing we should do is to stop killing women in the name of "honour" of the family.

Member Profile elifurgan PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Dawam Sarah Elisha

Jan 2, 2008

In some Nigerian communities it is an abomination for a teen to get pregnant out of wedlock and so her parents disown her. she is thrown out of the house and the community looks at her as an outcast. but to me, teens should be given the right to continue schooling after pregnancy. if you educate a girl you educate a nation

Member Profile jesusluvsme PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
DD

Gender & Age: Female, 27
Province/State: Derry
City: Londonderry
Jan 20, 2008

Eveyone has a right to continue school, as long as they want to.

Member Profile dinad PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Nikki

Province/State: Ontario
City: Ottawa
Jan 23, 2008

I went to Catholic school all the way throughout and even at strict Catholic school the girls were not punished for being pregnent. They were encourage to stay in school as long as possible and there were also special catch up programs and if they were willing to go to the Adult Education Centre they had free daycare and flexible schedules so they could work as well. I think the by kicking a girl out of school is not a punishment really on the mother but more a punishment on the child who will have to grow up in poverty becuase his or her mother is a high school drop out. There is this saying that I grew up with "Hate the sin but not the sinner", how can you hate someone or punish someone for brining a life into the world?

Member Profile nallison36 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
davyk

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male, 33
Province/State: Harare
City: Harare
Feb 7, 2008

iam from a background that does not allow teen sex which i personally believe in. i also beleive in NO SEX before marriage but i agree with all the sentiments being aired that they should be allowed to go back to school.everyone deserves another chance.we all make mistakes we are humans.actually it must be made mandatory that they continue with their education.in the same vein they need to understand the responsibilities of being mothers and also fathers! not that we condone what they would have done but they diserve everyone's support. teens must be taught abstinance until marriage if not possible then at least delay the onset of sexual encounter.this will help reduce the problems that come with teen pragnancy and parenthood. i was shocked we i saw on an american talkshow Ricki Lake young people as young as 15 saying they were ready to be parents and they were at having fights against they parents because of this. one was actully boasting that she was sexually active since she was 9 and mostly with older men! it got me thinking what our world has gone to.so my message to you guys is lets support the teen parents and have them in school make it possible for them to attain their dreams but lets not encourage their action remember there is HIV/AIDS!

Member Profile dkaiyo PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Shannon Monn

Gender & Age: Female, 32
Feb 20, 2008

Of course pregnant teens should have the right but unfortuneately many don't want to. Especially since many confuse being pregnant with being stupid, as if only stupid girls let themselves get pregnant. The only way I can say to fix it is to educate. Not about pregnancy prevention but about social issues and mental excercises in compassions. Many teens cognitive functioning isn't fully developed which is why they often have difficulty seeing long term consequences and others points of views. By creating mental exercises that strengthen these concepts throughout a child's education, hopefully peers would be more accepting to one another.

Member Profile confounded22 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Christy W

Gender & Age: Female, 2017
Province/State: Newfoundland and Labrador
City: St. John's
Mar 14, 2008

Absolutely, education is one of the most valuable possessions we could ever receive and taking that away from a girl just because she's pregnant is ridiculous. Every woman deserves a great education and whether it's homeschool, public or private there are many ways to get an education these days. Depriving someone of this is wrong and should not be tolerated under any circumstances. Continuing school means working towards a diploma, not necessarily continuing as they were prior to getting pregnant, of course they should spend time with the baby after its born and take care of themselves during pregnancy, but as I said before, being pregnant doesn't stop you from taking some online courses. Coming back to the rights issue. No one has the right to deny any man, woman or child an education. Knowledge is power and taking that away is debilitating.

Member Profile ChristyCavell PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Hafiidhaturrahmah

Gender & Age: Female, 31
Oct 7, 2008

Of course ALL girls have right to go to school

but,...hre in Indonesia, pregnant girl will shy to go to school because judgment from all students there. Actually, they should come to school but yeah...discrimation happened and tehy prefer just at home ^_^

maybe we should make a clear RULE or LAW about this

^_^

Member Profile Avis PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
dot

Gender & Age: Female, 28
Oct 16, 2008

Yes. They have right to decide their future. Being pregnant can affect to their daily life but it is just affection. AS I see people usually think hardly about these youth. Why? They thought they are bad. Do they think that thing can decide a human? No no. They make the obstacles to these poor girls.Learning and having children are different. If young girls can manage their life. it is very nice. We should encourage her by any way.

Member Profile dotdot PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
dot

Gender & Age: Female, 28
Oct 16, 2008

Yes. They have right to decide their future. Being pregnant can affect to their daily life but it is just affection. AS I see people usually think hardly about these youth. Why? They thought they are bad. Do they think that thing can decide a human? No no. They make the obstacles to these poor girls.Learning and having children are different. If young girls can manage their life. it is very nice. We should encourage her by any way.

Member Profile dotdot PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM