TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesCultureBeauty and body image across cultures

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3 4 5  »
Author

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 32
Province/State: São Paulo
City: São José dos Campos
Re: Beauty and body image across cultures
Dec 13, 2007

I believe that there are two major aspects behind of what is considered to be beautiful.

One would be strictly physical: symmetry and proportion. I read once that a symmetrical and proportional face is usually considered to be beautiful throughout different cultures (I can't remember where I read it in order to cite it here, but it seems me very reasonable). It can be even stated some geometrical relations common to "pretty faces". However, you should notice that this doesn't deny the possibility of "pretty assymetrical faces".

Second would be affected by social factors. I believe that the physical types associated to most successful people in a specific society becomes assumed to be beautiful. This would found many examples, some already cited in here.

Well, this is my opinion =]

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile rbpiccinini PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
দেবশ্রীDebashree

Poster Rank: Talkative

Province/State: Karnataka
City: Bangalore
Dec 22, 2007

BrynneO wrote:

can you talk more about this practice and where it is happening? I think this topic is nice to talk about

On an inquisitive search for FGM, I found some revealing Images & article, posting hereby:

http://www.feminist.com/resources/artspeech/inter/fgm.htm
This particular website gives an Overall idea of FGM, its impact & the places it is practised.

http://commercial-archive.com/node/141832
this is another link where you can find how Amesty Sweden invented a symbolic Campaign for FGM.

http://www.middle-east-info.org/league/somalia/fmgpictures.htm
Warning: here are some disturbing & gruesome images for them who dare to face the Reality...

Member Profile mews PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
rohit saroj

Dec 23, 2007

hi,
i read almost all the comments and wondered whether there exixts any clarity of meaning in the word beauty?...

what you probably want to know is physical attractiveness rather than beauty as beauty transends physical appearance...

sex, lust etc are the terms that are associated with attraction and that is what has been brought in the commentaties that have been made...

anyways, pysical attractiveness does is contextual but the global electronic and mass media is anhilating the cultural and context specific notions of physical attractiveness as it has laid down ratios and proportion to it...36-24-36..and all that..scientific research also busy testifyng all such notions..i do not say that these findings are worthless..i cannot deny it as i do think that certain vital body statistics, complexion, skin quality, colour of hair, eyes etc affect individuls choice...now, as to why people behave violently is something difficult to explain..probably it is a method to control????

but one thing has to be understood that physical attractiveness is very real and the womens commodification through the mass media is degrading..it is abnoxious and exploitative..

Member Profile rohitsaroj PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Wolf

Gender & Age: Female, 43
Jan 4, 2008

At least some beauty standards are biologically based. Being fat or slender often has to do with an indication of how much food you can acquire, or how much athletic fitness you have, but obviously that is not the only reason for weight standards--see American anorexia and obesity for an example. However, facial features, height, and skin lightness are often tied to local environment.

It's not a good idea--or a standard of beauty--to be a large person in an area where there is a scarcity of food. So womyn who are small are often considered to be beautiful. Having a large nose in an arid environment is a survival trait; it leads to having better oxygenation in the lungs due to moisture put into the air by the nose.

Womyn are usually lighter-skinned than men because it allows them to get more Vitamin D when sunlight hits their skin. Vitamin D is essential to the development of fetuses. At the same time, too light of skin generally means that folic acid in the blood is being destroyed by sunlight--so there is a certain minimum darkness that's considered attractive in the different regions of the world, tied directly to sun-intensity.

Just a few examples--biology is not all. Obviously ear or nose piercings, tattoos, and Female Genital Mutilation serve no purpose. They're purely cultural.

Member Profile kwolf12 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
EAF

Gender & Age: Female, 28
Province/State: Michigan
City: Munith
Jan 7, 2008

I persoanlly am 5'7", curvy, have long dark hair, very pale skin with sparse freckles, and to many I am not by any means beautiful...but to me...I am...

Beauty is not only what other's see and decide it's what people see within themselves and how they react to it. I do believe that if everyone could just come to the conclussion that beauty is what you are reguardless of what you look like, it's how you feel about being you, it's how you treat other's based upon how you feel about yourself, then there wouldn't be as many problems as there are now with subjects such as these.

The standards in society are set because of how one group has treated the rest. Thus why for racism, discrimination, and this problem with beauty, understanding, and the exceptance of others for the way they are.

Member Profile EAF PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
rohit saroj

Jan 13, 2008

EAF wrote:

I persoanlly am 5'7", curvy, have long dark hair, very pale skin with sparse freckles, and to many I am not by any means beautiful...but to me...I am...

Beauty is not only what other's see and decide it's what people see within themselves and how they react to it. I do believe that if everyone could just come to the conclussion that beauty is what you are reguardless of what you look like, it's how you feel about being you, it's how you treat other's based upon how you feel about yourself, then there wouldn't be as many problems as there are now with subjects such as these.

The standards in society are set because of how one group has treated the rest. Thus why for racism, discrimination, and this problem with beauty, understanding, and the exceptance of others for the way they are.

hi eaf,
you have brought up a very interesting insight to this discussion...i really congratulate you for this!!!
it's true that beauty has not to do with how you look or what people have to say about you..it's the notion of an individuals self concept and it's appreciation...what one likes or dislikes in others is basically a reflection of the aspects of likes and dislikes of ones own individuality!!!!- great insight eaf!!
regards,
rohit.

Member Profile rohitsaroj PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
samiraisir

Gender & Age: Female, 2017
Province/State: Woqooyi Galbeed
City: Hargeisa
Jan 15, 2008

FGM practice is practiced in Many East African and North African countries. Practitioners thought that a woman's sexual desires should be controlled. The surgical implementation of the procedure is thought to have dated back to the ancient Egyptians and ancient Arabs. As the ancient Arabs migrated to Africa, so did the surgical aspect of FGM traveled as well.sad

In my country it is pracitcied but NGOs and UN agencies is trying their best to erdicate the practice. But it is getting hard and harder every passing year, cause people beleive that a girl who is not Circumcised is not likely going to get a husband!!.

Member Profile samiraisir PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
samiraisir

Province/State: Woqooyi Galbeed
City: Hargeisa
Jan 16, 2008

The mentality was there for ever. So, it is actually the Mothers and female relatives who spread such false facts. Somali men have no problem with uncircumcised girls.

Nowadays there is a lot of public awareness about the issue on how to prevent it since the Islamic religion doesn’t allow it and it looks like it is reducing in the urban areas but it is still highly practiced in the rural and nomadic areas sad

Member Profile samiraisir PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
simge aslan

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Female, 32
Jan 27, 2008

I think how you look is related to how you want to live completely. people who have self-confidence and self-respect -even the most ugly ones- seem beautiful. Being fat or thin doesn't matter. However, I, of course, prefer being thin and attractive like other girl but not for boys and other people but for myself because I feel more healthy.
In Turkey, especially married men and women are overweight. after they love and are loved, they don't care their appearances. It means that in Turkey being beautiful and caring appearances is directly related to be liked...

Member Profile simge PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
addi

Gender & Age: Male, 37
Province/State: Punjab
City: Multan
Feb 2, 2008

Now a days slim and smart appearance is considered as beauty so women and girls pay more attention on dieting....and on the name of dieting they dont eat food as it is the need of their growth resulting in several health issues for them....!!!

Member Profile Adnan PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Christy W

Province/State: Newfoundland and Labrador
City: St. John's
Mar 14, 2008

I believe beauty is of mind. I also believe human's have the innate ability to know what is healthy and what is not. We know when we look healthy and we can tell if others are healthy.

Health and beauty are one and the same. To be healthy and to take care of yourself makes others drawn to you. Health of body and mind makes you shine above the rest. Being happy is being healthy and there is nothing more beautiful in this world.

Taking care of yourself and living a healthy life makes you the beautiful person that you deserve to be, and everyone who sees you can tell ! Cheers to health and beauty.

Member Profile ChristyCavell PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Paradissa Travel

Gender & Age: Male, 40
Apr 14, 2008

Thank you for sharing!
We love traveling and trying new cuisine too!

Cheers,

This post was edited on: 2008-04-18 at 09:47 AM by: laurakenyon (Moderator)

Member Profile paradissatravel PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Woman of Action

Cultural sensitivity to Breast Diseases
Apr 16, 2008

There is a very interesting article on the website: www.beautybeyondbreast.com, on the subject of cultural issues that face women in 3rd world and middle eastern countries, when challenged with breast disease.
We should not kid ourselves into beliveing that breast issues are out in the open and 'women are empowered'. Are all the millions spent on breast cancer awareness going in vain, if there are cultural issues in 'comming out' with this disease, for most women in 3rd world and middle eastern cultures?
Think women. The demographics being impacted with this veil-syndrome of hiding breast diseases - for fear of husbands leaving their wife or indeed remarrying another woman, imply that 70% of the worlds women are impacted. Can we have a forum to do the math on the money spent on breast disease awareness in the 3rd. world countries and the otucomes commensurate?
The article is on the link:
http://www.beautybeyondbreast.com/breast_cancer_abu_dhabi_dubai_uae.html#october27

Member Profile womanofaction PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Raine

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Female, 28
Apr 17, 2008

i think that people shouldn't have to fit into some mould to be beautiful. we're not all the same and that's what makes the world interesting. There's a quote that i love from the movie "Robinhood, Prince of Theives." a Moorish man is asked by a little girl "Did God paint you?" he replies that he supposes God did. the girl asks why. he says "because Allah enjoys wonderous variety." i think that's the way it is, that's why there are so many different people. usually, the people who are the most beautiful are those who don't really care about being beautiful. those who try too hard end up hiding the beauty that is within them.

Member Profile JennySmith PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Hilda Birungi

Gender & Age: Other, 35
Province/State: Rukungiri
City: Kebisoni
Apr 18, 2008

you are write people in my country consider light skin as beauty and womean will bleach their bodies with washing detergents. its horrible some tend to look Pink or red and sometimes greenish.

when you feel beautiful with you, it will shine on you and bring out the best in you for people to appreciate.

in my culture dark(black) gums are considered beauty.

I have both the two but I never really feel they are the source of my happiness. it is how i feel and treat the people around me that i call beautiful.

Member Profile hildaug PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM