TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesCultureBeauty and body image across cultures

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3 4 5  »
Author

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Female, 28
Re: Beauty and body image across cultures
Oct 24, 2007

i just learned that the body types used for commercials and adds make up less than 5%of Americans but are shown so often that they are percieved as normal. far too many women try to achieve what only God and mother nature can give. i hate the idea of plastic surgery. people are meant to be unique, not copies of what the media shows.
i do think that people should express their individuality, though not in ways that are detrimental to their bodies. i also think that each individual should determine beauty for themselves. i personally think that many of the things considered fashionable are hideous--yet people but the clothes. if it is their own style that makes them buy them, that's okay, but buying clothes simply because one wants to fit in isn't. eveyone has a personality. we are not dopplegangers, clones or copies of everyone else--so we shouldn't pretend to be.

stick out tongue

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile JennySmith PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Meaghan

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Female, 25
Oct 25, 2007

We are saying how bad it is that the media is portraying the idea that we should all look the same, but lets compare it to any other culture. One place they say it's beautiful to be fat, so they all over eat. another place they say its beautiful to have long limbs so they stretch their babies' arms. I think that now matter how much we fight it there will always be that pressure to be the same in one way or another, depending on which culture you are part of. And trends change. Maybe soon a size 8 will be the new 2- who knows. But isn't it just a fact of life that that pressure will always be there in some way, shape or form?

Member Profile meaghan15 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Women's Learning Partnership

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Female, 39
Province/State: Maryland
City: Bethesda
Oct 27, 2007

Yes, the media definitely plays a role, but can we only blame the media? There are plenty of countries that are not bombarded with advertisements and television and consumer culture that have unhealthy body pressures. Female genital mutilation- when parts of female genitalia is cut off, or sewn together- cannot be blamed on media. This practice has existed for many years, before media came into the mix. A staggering percentage of women in parts of Africa and the Middle East have undergone this "procedure" for aesthetic reasons, and to protect their "honor"- because without it, women are unable to not have sex outside of marriage.

Member Profile wlp PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

Oct 27, 2007

Are men's bodies and women's bodies equally affected by pressures to be a certain way? In the US, men are expected to be strong- especially athletes. They may feel pressure to take steroids. Women feel pressure to be thin. Eating disorders are becoming normal. Plastic surgery is very normal. Clothing is more restrictive on women. Hair and makeup, everything, seems targeted at women. I think women bear the brunt of media and cultural pressures to be a certain way.

Oct 27, 2007

lillyfire wrote:

culturally beauty and body image were very different in my family.

my mother being brought up in germany often instilled the perception of fitness that came with beauty. But later on when she raised us she would stray to the western "eat healthy, be thin, stay thin" attitude. I think cultures collide especially in families that have mixed heritages.

I think this is very interesting- we are all affected by the culture that we are surrounded in. I lived in Egypt for one year and I had a very different body image than in the US

vas

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 38
Province/State: Delhi
City: Kalkaji
Oct 28, 2007

In India beign fair is the norm for beign beautiful.till a decade ago ,women with curves and fat buttoks were considered pretty.now slim and tll women are considered smart.

Member Profile vas21 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Sarah Al-mageni

Gender & Age: Female, 19
Province/State: Masqat
City: Ghubrah
Oct 29, 2007

in the gulf very thin girls are not considered pretty they must have a little bit of meat on their bones.. also long hair is favored.... arab guys like faired skin but not too fair,,

Member Profile Sarahalmageni PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

Oct 30, 2007

I think its so fascinating to hear about what is beautiful in different places. It seems that being thin = beautiful is a recent thing.

There was an article and video the other day about a billboard advert that went up in Italy. It featured a naked, anorexic model. Take a look at it, its really very disturbing that girls are doing this to themselves. Italy is banning super thin models on their walkways, and, because Italy seems to be the leader in the fashion industry, and thus, in determining what is beautiful, maybe super thin models will start to disappear the world over.

Regarding what vas21 said, I saw how a high-profile Indian actor did an advert for a face cream that is supposed to make skin more fair- how this sort of thing is big business in India. And there was a public outcry. Anyway, I think skin tone is a fairly common indicator of beauty in peoples' minds. Why? Where does this come from?

This post was edited on: 2007-10-30 at 11:54 AM by: Women's Learning Partnership

Dr. Kyaw Su Thway

Gender & Age: Male, 29
Nov 16, 2007

May be you don't know about Myanmar culture. Myanmar girls are really nice at wearing and beauty!

Member Profile BryanMoLyan PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

Nov 16, 2007

BryanMoLyan wrote:

May be you don't know about Myanmar culture. Myanmar girls are really nice at wearing and beauty!

BryanMoLyan, I don't understand what you mean. Please tell me about culture and girls in Myanmar.

Melanie LeBlanc

Gender & Age: Female, 26
Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Nov 19, 2007

I think that people's perception of beauty comes from various things. It depends on your culture and we all have different opinions of what we find beautiful. But to me, beauty comes from within, it comes from your own self worth.

Member Profile xmel PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
SakyaC

Gender & Age: Male, 28
Province/State: Arizona
City: Flagstaff
Nov 26, 2007

Beauty is in everything around us, we acossiate with beauty by utilizing material from nature to improve our self image,which depends on the culture on how that image is percieved. What I don't understand is why people go under the knife to improve their looks, when in fact they are truly beautiful, no matter the age or state of aging. The person who posted before me has the right idea, that the beauty of humanity comes from within. If you feel that you want to get cosmetic surgery, please consider what I am saying, and don't destroy your true image because of superficialities of culture and society. each of us has beauty in some form, whether it be our bodies or our minds. Beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder.

Member Profile sakyacalsoyas1 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
grace

Dec 3, 2007

This is really interesting. In Africa plump women are more likely to be preferred than slim ones. However, things seem to be changing with the now concept of a model which i see as being westernised. Most young females would want to be slim to identify themselves with some European model. This has a number of consequences from social, psychological and economical as well.[quote]

Member Profile 82 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
mahesh chavan

Gender & Age: Male, 37
Province/State: Gujarat
City: Ahmadabad
Dec 3, 2007

In INDIA, starting from North ...beauty n body image is replacing cultural morals,norms. and culture is quite modernised ,considering other areas of india...

. If you will go down to south , culture will replace the body image n beauty but its developed according to culture , reflecting good body image and beauty also ..i.e. gals !!

if u will look towards central and west india , culture is proportionetly mixed with body image n beauty with respect to various communities. so itself it has formed a new trend of culture wth new beauty definations ..i.e.gals...

remaining east india.beauty n Culture formed its defined boudaries.

So its welcoming n very fascinating culture in india.

Member Profile Mahesh77 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Kirsten

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Dec 6, 2007

This is a really interesting conversation and I just thought that you guys might like to check out a report that discusses beauty, perceptions of, and what beauty is in different cultures.

You can find the Truth About beauty (Dove Global Study) here:
http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.ca/supports.asp?id=1558&length=short&section=campaign

Member Profile kirstenjordan PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM