TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesEducationwhat is your idea of a perfect school?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2 3 ... 22 23 24  »
Author

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Female & 24
what is your idea of a perfect school?
Jul 30, 2007

while school is important, it sometimes seems like there could be better ways to learn than the current ones. what are your ideas on how to make school "perfect"? what would you like to see taught? what would the rooms be like? the discipline? the teachers?

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile JennySmith PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
dot

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 25
Re: what is your idea of a perfect school?
Jul 31, 2007

It's hard to have a perfect school nowadays, but in the further may have.We need a right_brain school and left_brain school. It is very necessary. Everyone has their own brain and we can force them to go to school which isn't suitable for their brain. Of course every type of schools have their own program. We have studied many subject, but we don't use them much as we have learnt. So I wonder why we must to learn them?
What is about violence in school? No one can be sure that never happen. It has to take a long time to have a perfect school

Member Profile dotdot PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Raine

Gender & Age: Female, 24
Jul 31, 2007

one thing a perfect school would have for me is color. the school i went to had two options--white or blue. i like the blue rooms, but all of the white ones reminded me of a hospital or a prison--neither place is a good thing to associate with school. stick
out tongue

also, i think that it would be great if there was an "open hour" where kids could go to any room and learn any number of new things in addition to the regular classes. schools would also have unique options such as Archeology, blacksmithing, etc. for the open hours and gym classes would offer martial arts. (there are probably some schools like this, but not anywhere near me)

classes would be more hands-on and the students would be allowed to teach their unique skills too.

dot

Aug 1, 2007

What do you think about study at home? You know that many family(most of them is rich) that let your children at home and teach them be theirselves. their home is facility for their child studying. He can decorate his room with his favorite colour. and of course it doesn't like prison. The child is very independent in that room.
What do you think about it, Janny??Is it good or bad?

Serge Mario

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 37
Province/State: Littoral
City: Douala
Aug 1, 2007

A perfect school takes into consideration two salient parameters namely, the teaching and people responsible for that.With regard to the first, one can say that there is no school without "teaching". Schools are created to educate, to instruct, and most importantly to teach "lessons". A perfect school is a school which offers teaching that suit , satisfy the needs of students, and has something new to offer. It is a school which has something to offer. In that process of teaching, one must give a proeminent place to the method of teaching. The method appears here as the gun and teaching as bullets. A gun without bullet can't kill. It is useless but dangerous when the contrary occurs.
Teachers are also very important in the consideration of a school as perfect. They are mirrors for students. We can observe that, througout the year, students spend more time with them that with their parents or whosoever.Because of that,it is crucial for them to be looking as mentors for a good education.It doesn't mean that they are key elements for a education , but at least let us give them that " seemingly place."

Member Profile ether3 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
dot

Aug 2, 2007

It is very hard to look for good teachers. They never fair . How many teachers who always think about their students?About the lessons, If you like a subject as Math, physics,...but you don't have a good teacher, what happens if that teacher always hate you, think you are very silly?
I met a teacher like this when I was high school, and I also met a teacher that very like students who are pretty. It is so bad. We have never got a suitable education program because people always apply the same lesson for every student. They don't care our degree. I don't like uniform. It is not suitable for every student. Why don't they let us wear everything we like? I think it is better.

Raine

Aug 2, 2007

dotdot,
i think that home studying is great. it allows kids to learn at their own pace and focus on the subjects that interest them.at the same time, many families don't have the time or money to teach kids this way. one great thing about home studying is that kids learn to be more independant, and the studies that i have read say that home-schooled kids are often a grad level or two above their peers in regular school. big grin

i'd still like to know how to improve regular school, though. any tips?shocked

Raine

Aug 2, 2007

i think you're right about school uniforms. i would hate to have to wear one. teachers, too, are an important part of learning. think back to your favorite teachers. what did they do differently than most? my favorites always treated me like i was intelligent and considered the openions of the students. they helped me to improve my skills and taught in unique ways that allowed for new veiws and ideas that i had never faced before. also, most treated me like a peer and not some stupid child.

Topher Hunt

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Male, 26
Province/State: Vermont
City: Rutland
Aug 2, 2007

Some things come to my mind when I think of a perfect school.

First off, as a witness to the American education system, I think it's fair to say that a greater financial investment in school resources gives a school greater non-standard capabilities. In this I think the old joke about the tables turning so the military has to hold bake sales while the education force enjoys the indulgence of the nation would indeed bring about change.

However, from my experience working in a third world country with very limited resources, I have found that by far the most valuable resource is the mind. Students and teachers ideally could communicate to brainstorm and develop new ideas for the classroom and larger system. The sad thing is, all that is necessary for this to happen is for the parties to decide to do it. Nothing more.

Second, I have come to believe that the ineffectivity of the first world's school system stems from simple disinterest, which is not simply a way to dismiss the system as hopeless; it is a call to reconsider the school paradigm. In the last ten years, first-world students have increasingly become surrounded by an enticing environment of interactive networks and media. The new face of the internet, which goes beyond a bland library of data and allows true interactions which become more and more real each month, plus movies and video games - no comment - provide a huge array of activites competing for the attention of today's youth. There has been very little coordinated effort on the part of the school system to counter this; it may be that providing a consistently more interactive environment will gain back students' attention and demonstrate that it is not the learning that bores students; it is the paradigm surrounding the learning.

Third, there is the greater society's attitude towards learning. I taught in rural Nicaragua for a year and found an immense enthusiasm for learning. What gives? Less distractions. But the downside: I heard some parents dismissing education (right in front of their kids!) as useless, worthless, a waste of time or worse. Those kids were those who did the most poorly. While the social disposition towards school seems more positive in the US and Germany, valuing education more could only help.

Member Profile topherhunt PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
dot

Aug 6, 2007

Dear,
Studying at home is very convenient for pupils because of many reasons. But how good it is , we have to think about it carefully.
Studing at home can make you lose many things. The child can not have many fiends as the child who learns at school. The people we met_ who are good or bad_ also effect to our life, and teach us many things. more types of people we meet, more experience we have. Experience in life is very important and useful. You can say" I am a excentlent. I have got many licenses" But it doesn't mean that you will sucess in your life. Moreover, he depends his parents very much.
At present, they can avoid violence, uniforms,....But it is good or bad? We have to think well.

dot

Aug 7, 2007

Hi,
If every children in this world could go to school, we would have many talents.
Topherhunt, there is a big diffrence beween the third world and the others. Enthusiasm always have in each teacher who teaches there. Both the teachers and pupils is so straightforward. They know each other thinking and feeling. It is just one thing that prevents pupil there from learning is the poorness. If the child can go to school, I am sure that he very concentrates on his study.
But do you know Topherhunt, when the country is more developing, the problems which people have to encounter is more. And we have to admit those.Where is these reasons from? They come from facilities we get everyday and we usually don't pay attention on how the people feel. The teachers always think they are right and their students is wrong.
We can not solve it because it is a trouble of the social. We just remember what we got and don't do with people any more. That is
all

Topher Hunt

Gender & Age: Male, 26
Province/State: Vermont
City: Rutland
Aug 7, 2007

Dotdot,

I agree that students in third-world countries have great enthusiasm for learning. However I found that many teachers - as well as students - were trapped within certain paradigms and assumptions about learning; my suggestion was that it is possible, only by widespread choice, for students and teachers to collaborate to think of new ways to educate - thus changing the system.

I agree with you that poverty is a huge factor and many people simply can't go to school. However I found some places where this did not stop students from learning; the local society placed such a high value on education, trading ideas and challenging the mind became the village's pastime. Through a mere choice to care about learning, those children were enabled, indeed moreso than many students in nearby schools. If this happens in an area where a cyber cafe is cheaply accessible, there is very literally no limit to the learning potential.

I agree with you concerning the situation in developed countries. Educational systems become complex and routine, and when time passes with no major changes made, the system becomes inflexible. However, I believe that if parents and students place enough value in learning (if they care enough), they will talk to teachers and directors of their concerns, and changes will be made once it becomes clear that the current system is no longer satisfactory.

Regardless of where the educational problems come from, in both poor and rich countries, I see the solution in many individuals making a conscious choice to focus more energy on their learning and the learning of their children. But people need to care.

Member Profile topherhunt PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Poonam

Gender & Age: Female, 20
Province/State: New Jersey
City: Woodbridge
Aug 11, 2007

a perfect school should be filled with color to make children feel happy. It should have some free time other than lunch or gym for them to relax . each student should learn not 1 foreign langauge, but 2 or 3 because it might help some people while traveling to new countries.students should show all work in math to make sure they understand how top solve math problems and equations.... teachers should take off points for spelling easy words incorrectly because the kids wont take you seroisly unless you take off pionts....and if there is an oral report to do kids should be put in classaes with their friends to make them feel comfortable and more confident

Member Profile prettypoonam27 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Poonam

Gender & Age: Female, 20
Province/State: New Jersey
City: Woodbridge
Aug 11, 2007

the idea of uniforms is brilliant but i think the students should be able to choose what kind of uniforms they want to where, it would make them feel that the school does care of what they think......if the board of education just told them to where what they gave the studentrs , the students would feel like prisoners and slaves

Member Profile prettypoonam27 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
KIM R.Y

Province/State: Seoul Teukbyeolsi
Aug 11, 2007

i have thought that perfect, ideal shool cannot be. but i think perfect shool is made with respect of potential abilities and individual character. many of us, student, hate learning all things we do not want for some of subject does not match their character. in Korea,but,highschool, learn around 12-13 subject. we hope to learn not all things but some thing individual want. but,as we know, i realize it is difficult to materialize. cause many of us do not know pecfertly what our real apititude, we need to learn some and basis.
that is my opinion,however,perfect school, well i think it can be different from one naiton to others.
Because all of them have different education and have different problems for study. for instance, if they do not have money to learn, it is their problems and they would want more donations or governmental support. but somewhere having money, they do not have financial problem, and hope some other things improved.

But the same mind we have is 'we want perfect school where want to go'

Member Profile GYOKA PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM