TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesHealthDo humans chew cud?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Province/State: Rift Valley
City: Nakuru
Do humans chew cud?
Jul 27, 2007

Recently we had a very heated arguments about animals that chew cud!

Some one told me that all ruminants chew cud.That I agree.The interesting part is that some one said that humans, some chew cud?

Can anyone help me on this?

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile Nekesa PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
a

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Province/State: Birmingham
City: Birmingham
Re: Do humans chew cud?
Jul 27, 2007

As far as I know..humans do not chew cud..confused

Member Profile shorty667 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Owulezi

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Province/State: Imo
City: Owerri
Jul 27, 2007

I have seen a guy who chew cud....the guy will eat and in about four to five hours he will vomit already eaten meat and chew it over again. It happens I have witnesscool

This post was edited on: 2007-07-27 at 02:33 PM by: Owulezi

Member Profile plato123 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
a

Province/State: Birmingham
City: Birmingham
Jul 27, 2007

plato123 wrote:

I have seen a guy who chew cud....the guy will eat and in about four to five hours he will vomit already eaten meat and chew it over again. It happens I have witness*

This post was edited on: 2007-07-27 at 02:33 PM by: Owulezi

Some people have certain illnesses that force food back into their stomachs. When human beings suffer from Gastro Oesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), this can happen.
Constant exposure to stomach acid can irritate the lining of the oesophagus and cause other medical problems, including GERD. When the acid refluxes, some food particles and fluid come back to the mouth, making one to ‘chew the cud’.
GERD is a result of severe heartburn caused by stomach acid refluxing or splashing up into the oesophagus.
The way in which human beings do it, is different from the way animals do it. Human beings do not have four stomachs like ruminants...
So, the problem should not be referred to as ‘chewing of the cud’ because that is an animal thing. smile

Member Profile shorty667 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Vitalis Wafula Wekesa

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied
Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Male, 43
Province/State: Nairobi Area
City: Nairobi
Jul 27, 2007

Dear Nekesa,
Literaly speaking, human beings chew cud but scientifically speaking they don't. I will offer to explain why. When the phrase 'to chew one's cud' is used, normally it refers to the way someone thinks seriously about something, in other words, it refers to meditating or pondering about something.
However, scientifically speaking, one can only understand better this process of cud chewing by understanding why ruminants chew cud in the first place. Unlike humans, the alimentary canal of ruminants is unable to produce the enzymes required for the digestion of cellulose in plant matter. Accordingly, these animals have for along time developed a symbiotic relationship with microorganisms that help in the synthesis of the requisite enzymes. Fermentation products emanating from the activities of microbes mainly fattay acids are readily utilised by ruminants.
Therefore rumination, the process where ingested food materials are requrgitated, enables the animals to chew and refine the food, normally rouphage that is ingested in a hurry so as to increase the surface area for bacterial fermentation. This process also stimulate production of saliva that buffers the pH of the rumen.
Since human beings eat fairly slowly and mastigate food into small fragments, rumination is unnessary. Secondly, humans are equiped with digestive enzymes that degrade the food very first. Thirdly, the digestive system of human beings cannot permit regurgitation as doing so will result into vomiting. I hope i have partially answered your question and i would welcome any comment.

Member Profile ewekesah PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Owulezi

Province/State: Imo
City: Owerri
Jul 28, 2007

Hi Angi, I couldn't believe this untill I saw it but I guess maybe the guys has stomach problems or something like that because personally I don't even imagine such happening till I saw itsmilebig
grin

Member Profile plato123 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Terri

Province/State: Rift Valley
City: Nakuru
Jul 30, 2007

Thanks people,

I thot I was the only one dreaming here but at least now I know there are people out there who believe humans do chew it.

And another thing is this related to the ruminants and their 4 stomachs?

Member Profile Nekesa PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
alin love rai

Gender & Age: Male, 30
Province/State: Kosi
Aug 5, 2007

stick out tongue

Member Profile alinrai PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Raine

Gender & Age: Female, 28
Sep 13, 2007

Plato,
why on earth would that guy chew what he vomits up? anyone who has ever had the stomach flu can telll you that it's not the best taste in the world. ewwww. confused
one thing that may help this discussion, i know of some people who can swallow items and bring them back up alone. mostly these people have stronger stomach muscles and less of a gag reflex, many of them are sword swallowers.

Member Profile JennySmith PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Patricia Ainemigisha

Gender & Age: Female, 31
City: Kampala
May 4, 2011

I have suffered from Malaria and vomiting is one of it's symptoms. I also chew cud and I know the diffrence between the taste of cud and the taste of vomit. when I want to vomit, I feel a sharp discomfort in my stomach and a lot of saliva builds up in my mouth. after a few seconds, I vomit and the vomit is sour, it smells eeeuuuw...and know one would take it back (because it is actually what the body has resisted)

When I chew cud, the taste is different, the food that I have eaten simply comes back without saliva building up in my mouth and without a sharp pain in my stomach. The cud actually tastes the same or even better than the food i have eaten and it does not come in large amounts, it comes in moderate chewable amounts. It is more solid than liquid as the vomit is.

This usually takes place within an hour or an hour and a half after I have had a meal/snack, and in this hour, I can chew cud, swallow it, it come back in about 5 minutes, I chew it and swallow it again for about 3 or 4 times before it finally gets digested. In my case, It does not occur everyday, it takes place approximately once in every two or three months, I have not taken trouble counting but if I look back at the last time I chewed it, It must have even been about5-6 months ago.

Plus thus has been happening since childhood. I am 26 now.

Well, Isn't that chewing cud?

I do not know what doctors call it, and I do not believe it is a disorder.

Member Profile Ainemigisha PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
simples145

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

City: Colchester
Jan 26, 2012

Ainemigisha wrote:

When I chew cud, the taste is different, the food that I have eaten simply comes back without saliva building up in my mouth and without a sharp pain in my stomach. The cud actually tastes the same or even better than the food i have eaten and it does not come in large amounts, it comes in moderate chewable amounts. It is more solid than liquid as the vomit is.

That's just weird - i've never heard anything of this.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
canvas prints

Member Profile simples145 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
jodevizes

Gender & Age: Female, 33
Province/State: London (City of)
City: London
Feb 21, 2012

No they chew Khat, cocoa leaves, bubble or chewing gum but they do not chew the cud.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Jo Devizes knows a womens website that is rather good.

Member Profile jodevizes PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
joakim

Oct 17, 2012

personally i happen to chew. This is not like vomiting but it comes in small bits that you have to chew-basically its all types of food ranging from neat to milk.
When i comes back to mouth it is not acidic at all and it happens when an resting about 25 min after eating any help?

Member Profile mtuko2 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
ardan sanjoyo

Province/State: New York
City: New York
Jan 3, 2013

ewekesah wrote:

Dear Nekesa,
Literaly speaking, human beings chew cud but scientifically speaking they don't. I will offer to explain why. When the phrase 'to chew one's cud' is used, normally it refers to the way someone thinks seriously about something, in other words, it refers to meditating or pondering about something.
However, scientifically speaking, one can only understand better this process of cud chewing by understanding why ruminants chew cud in the first place. Unlike humans, the alimentary canal of ruminants is unable to produce the enzymes required for the digestion of cellulose in plant matter. Accordingly, these animals have for along time developed a symbiotic relationship with microorganisms that help in the synthesis of the requisite enzymes. Fermentation products emanating from the activities of microbes mainly fattay acids are readily utilised by ruminants.
Therefore rumination, the process where ingested food materials are requrgitated, enables the animals to chew and refine the food, normally rouphage that is ingested in a hurry so as to increase the surface area for bacterial fermentation. This process also stimulate production of saliva that buffers the pH of the rumen.
Since human beings eat fairly slowly and mastigate food into small fragments, rumination is unnessary. Secondly, humans are equiped with digestive enzymes that degrade the food very first. Thirdly, the digestive system of human beings cannot permit regurgitation as doing so will result into vomiting. I hope i have partially answered your question and i would welcome any comment.

This is the best post on this subject I’ve ever read. I am seriously incredibly impressed with it.

Member Profile ardansanjoyo PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
kevin mcnamara

Province/State: Stockport
City: Stockport
Mar 16, 2013

Guys

I do cud, I am not sick and perfectly healthy, In the childhood we were poor and had limited access to food, I love food and i don't like that fact that we had limited food. So whenever my mom makes some good food i enjoy the food even after dinner, lunch whatever it is until its completely digested. I don't how i invented this technique, but i create a kind of vaccum in my throat whenever i want to CUD ( of course not early in the morning then i don't have anything in my tommy)... So its not like i vomit something but i can just bring the food back in a controlled fashion... I know everyone think its GROSS, but there are many other things in this world which are more gross, i mean if u can swallow the same food via same whole why can't u bring it back after a while?!

Just to let you know

Member Profile reallykevin PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM