TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesMillennium Development GoalsEmpowering Women and Politics

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3 4 ... 19 20 21  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 34
Province/State: Abidjan
City: Port-Bouët
Re: Empowering Women and Politics
Aug 28, 2007

In fact i perfectly agree with you. Men need to be educated and be taugth that women are not just household beings especially devised to serve men at home. We need to bring men to anderstand that if they want a better world, they have to accept the contribution of women. Some received thougths are to be cleared from men's mind. But i think that in doing so we can not help going against some cultural and religious believes and this is what may render this undertaking a bit difficult.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile ricky83 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Roy Kramp

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 38
Province/State: New South Wales
City: Queanbeyan
Aug 28, 2007

In Australia, the proverbial shoe will be on the other foot, methinks, inside 20 years. We live in a truly great country of gender neutrality and equal rights and I for one don't mind if the girls run the country. Just so long as they let me fish big grin Might be a hard slog for the boys to try and get it back though but we do love our sports here.

And please excuse me for the lack of an intellectual contribution but as I inferred, I already live in a country with all the perks "for want" in this thread. Being male, and having never actually left Oz I may well be biased, but I thought my simple 2 cents on my home might contribute as a small example for others.

Feel free to reciprocate if I am wrong.

Member Profile stiiixy PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Becky

Gender & Age: Female, 40
Province/State: Michigan
City: Midland
Aug 28, 2007

Its official then, all women interested in politics should move to Australia where we can take over the country wink Just kidding of course! See, us women can fish AND run the government at the same time, as well as raise a family, cook dinner and, well, save the world!

Okay, enough of the sarcasm...its good to know that there is a nice share of political power among the genders in Australia.

Member Profile rschack PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Konan Richmond

Aug 29, 2007

Let's not depart from the main topic. The world is not made of australia alone. So if things are going well there, if women are emancipated in politics and public offices the less we can do is to ask our friend to share with the world how it worked there; because in africa as well as many other parts of the world this situation seemsfar from being dealt whith. So actually speaking i can tell my friend from australia that i didn't get a clear understanding of what he said. And i would like him to restate his opinion so as to make it much more understandable.

Roy Kramp

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: New South Wales
City: Queanbeyan
Aug 30, 2007

My apologies. I should have just kept my mouth shut. My tendency for speaking before I think things over gets the best of me sometimes. And it was late.

I shall stop commenting here until I have something constructive and useful to provide.

Time for a beer. Have a nice day *

This post was edited on: 2007-08-30 at 06:22 AM by: Roy Kramp

Member Profile stiiixy PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Vinyo

Gender & Age: Male, 36
Province/State: Greater Accra
City: Accra
Sep 3, 2007

Hey friends, it is true that if women are encourage at younger age, most of them will involve themselves in politics. and mind you not politics alone, but other sectors which will be very good. this is becuase women are good decision makers to some extend.

we need to encourage and empower them for their involvement.

Member Profile addaemichael PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Konan Richmond

Sep 4, 2007

Why so importnce is given to such matters as ''women rights, .......''. Personally, i think it is beacause whithin ourselves we realise that women are naturally not equal to men. If this wasn't the case, there would not be a ''women rights'', but human rigths. Saying women rights when we know it for a fact that there is already a universal declaration of ''human rigths'' is the fondation of genre discrimination. Of course i don't mean that women are to be mistreated, or considered as good for nothing, i just mean that striving to establish ''women rights'' and acting to enforce it is to wrightly show the diference between men and women. In fact there is a natural difference and no rights as decree can remove this. However, women are part of humanity, and as such they have something to bring to this humanity, that no man, despite his abilities will never be able to bring. They contribute in a unique way in the development of human kind just as men do. Relegate the one or the other in a second plan is to deprieve humanity of a unique touch.

BY KONAN RICMOND, ivory coast

This post was edited on: 2007-09-15 at 02:46 AM by: konan richmond

Women's Learning Partnership

Gender & Age: Female, 39
Province/State: Maryland
City: Bethesda
Sep 14, 2007

Here at the Women’s Learning Partnership we believe that women leaders can contribute to a new leadership style that is participatory, horizontal, and inclusive. We seek to empower women through trainings that encourage them to identify the ways in which they are already leaders in their lives and how they can further develop those skills. Leading to Choices: A Leadership Training Handbook for Women, the book we developed and use at trainings, focuses on communication, listening, consensus building, and identifying shared goals. Older women have made up the majority of participants thus far, but we are in the early stages of creating a program and materials for young women also. Please come visit our site and be a friend, and learn about our work at www.learningpartnership.org.

Member Profile wlp PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
S.M

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 30
Province/State: Al Qahirah
City: Cairo
Sep 18, 2007

In The middle east it's very rare to find contribution from women spcaily in political issues, but recently in the gulf countries women started to show up and participate in such activities, i think the economic and the political situation of the country effect the women cotribution, as well as the education as many members mentioned before.
S.M

Member Profile salma86 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
anabelle lawrence

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Female, 32
Province/State: Delta
City: Abraka
Sep 24, 2007

i really do believe that the women should get more involved politically and also at a young age but then what happens to the kids. if every woman goes into this then no more nannies and the home suffers a serious breakdown. i am of the piont of view that a woman should make her mark in the political world in her early days but she should also know that there comes a time when the child has to be brought up in the right way so theremust also be a pause in her career until the children are able to make right decisions on their own no matter the enviroment they find themselves.

Member Profile grace13 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Becky

Gender & Age: Female, 40
Province/State: Michigan
City: Midland
Sep 24, 2007

Although I value your opinion I have to hardily disagree with you. Women are very very capable of working and being good mothers. I am sure that any female politician or full-time working parent can give great examples of how to balance a career and parenthood. Perhaps most importantly, you are forgetting one very important part: the fathers. Whether or not a woman decides to go into politics. raising a healthy, educated, socially-responsible child SHOULD involve both parents. Its not the mother's sole responsiblity for child-rearing. Making a baby takes two people, both of whom, from that point on, have an obligation to ensure the future of that child. If men aren't encouraged to forgo their political careers to be fathers, then women shouldn't be asked to do the same.

Member Profile rschack PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Mohamed Barrie

Province/State: Conakry
City: Conakry
Sep 25, 2007

I belive women should be respected and there right should be respected.I believe if we work as team and shear idaes together we can make a big development in the future.

Member Profile umaru PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
A. Tsang

Gender & Age: Male, 42
Province/State: Auckland
City: Auckland
Sep 28, 2007

A Web Drama with the hidden context of empowering women

(1/4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEnH4xbYTFY

(2/4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ_jcKbn9G0

(3/4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05PXEW5_PDk

(4/4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxt0HitNdFE

This post was edited on: 2007-09-28 at 08:13 PM by: A. Tsang

This post was edited on: 2007-09-28 at 08:15 PM by: A. Tsang

Member Profile cheetaih PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Pauline

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Female, 34
Province/State: Ontario
City: Thunder Bay
Sep 30, 2007

If young women are at the forefront of political agendas and there is a real pull for women's issues among politicians, we would welcome women.

Getting young women to attend leadership debates in their own riding would inspire them to ask the questions and get answers that hold politicians accountable for their actions. This encourages girls to ensure that politicians follow through while following politics. This will generate interest.

Member Profile pfogarty PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
hekatea

Oct 24, 2007

I agree that women should be empowered and that they should have an equal share in the government. But I wish that they maintain their female sensibility and motherly love and compassion and not to do the same mistake as traditional politicians did and are still doing. The kind of politics that we should aim for is the one that truly benefits the people and the country where these politicians serve. To empower women is to empower what is really good in them--what makes this society better.

Member Profile Katea PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM