TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesMillennium Development GoalsEmpowering Women and Politics

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3 ... 18, 19 20 21  »
Author

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Female, 28
Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Re: Empowering Women and Politics
May 2, 2012

I highly agree with this quote, if women feel that they are being respected and that others are willing to listen to their opinion and position they will be more likely to participate in political discussions.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile lbrasil PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Jane Pervoi

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken
Virtual Volunteer

Province/State: Ontario
City: Ottawa
Jul 11, 2012

My marketing professor had the class watch this video ("Miss Interpretation"). The documentary shows the effect of media on girls that are growing up.It's no surprise that so few women are found in leadership positions since women continuously face images and messages focusing on beauty rather than intelligence. Although it is noted that men also face messages about outter appearance it's not nearly as damaging. This documentary was definitely thought-provoking. It lead me to wonder if there is a way to undo society's view of women. I urge those interested in this topic to watch the documentary.

Member Profile janepe PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Umenjoh Vania Andoumbeni

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Female, 29
Jul 20, 2012

both men and women need to be informed that both gender have potential.so women should be empowered to come out of their shelve and participate. some women shy away from politics because of indoctrination that resulted from childhood as in most cultures especially in Africa believe that women should not talk where men are present or when men talk. the key here is to educate both men and women and even children on the potential of women as leaders.They govern the kitchen while not other spheres.

Umenjoh Vania

Member Profile vaniaumen PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Mpho

Aug 27, 2012

Personally I don't think its women its opportunities personally i respect women as a real man purely because of the responsibilities I see ffrom my mother and obviously the nine months.
But i believe women are disadvantaged in the corporate world and if the working incentives for women can increase it will make them more competitive,supporting such things as pregnancies will make women on a level as men or beyond purely because they used to being behind...

Member Profile Giftchk PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
radgup

Sep 10, 2012

mbastudies wrote:

kirstenjordan wrote:

One of the MDGs is about gender equality and empowering women. My question is how do we encourage more women to enter the world of politics? Studies have shown that women are more likely to get involved in politics if they are involved from a young age. What are your thoughts?

Hi,
Nice topic.
I believe to empower women to more actively participate in social activities and have a stronger voice in politics, and decision making, we should let them know of their own capabilities and that they are also very capable in decision making (even with more consideration on dicipline and more exact).

Besides, we should open men's mind and let them know that they are not superior.

Anyone who is wiser, and has more knowldge for a position, is more suitable for the job, regardless of the gender.

bests,
Mostafa
(I'm a man of course! stick
out tongue. At least you can be happy that I am one of those men who's open minded. na? wink

I'm so glad to hear your thoughts on this! How has the recent ban on women enrolling in certain university courses affected the social atmosphere in Tehran?

Member Profile radgup PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
emanton

Poster Rank: Talkative

Province/State: Manchester
City: Manchester
Feb 24, 2013

I agree, if, as we absolutely should be, empowering women it cannot be in isolation of their communities.
Otherwise we are in danger of even more alienation and isolation.

Member Profile emanton PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Shaunak

Province/State: Maharashtra
City: Mumbai
Jul 12, 2013

There are many ways to inspire young women to join politics. Some of the ones i can think of are:

1. Role models. In my country, Sonia Gandhi is a great role model. A non indian, widow, being the most powerful woman in this vast country provides inspiration to scores of people. Having a role model is great inspiration.

2. Awarenes: The issue needs to be close to the woman;'s heart. A girl should feel very strongly, about, for eg Rape and maybe that will make her want to get involved in the system and bring about some change.

3. Education: Education is paramount. it willprove a guide through the choppy waters of politics. It will give her an idea as to what the path is.

Member Profile shaunakpk PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Shaunak

Jul 12, 2013

There are many ways to inspire young women to join politics. Some of the ones i can think of are:

1. Role models. In my country, Sonia Gandhi is a great role model. A non indian, widow, being the most powerful woman in this vast country provides inspiration to scores of people. Having a role model is great inspiration.

2. Awarenes: The issue needs to be close to the woman;'s heart. A girl should feel very strongly, about, for eg Rape and maybe that will make her want to get involved in the system and bring about some change.

3. Education: Education is paramount. it willprove a guide through the choppy waters of politics. It will give her an idea as to what the path is.

Shaunak

Jul 12, 2013

Shaunak

Jul 12, 2013

Shaunak

Jul 12, 2013

Shaunak

Jul 12, 2013

Shaunak

Jul 12, 2013

Shaunak

Jul 12, 2013

Shaunak

Jul 12, 2013

« BACK TO FORUM