TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesMillennium Development GoalsEmpowering Women and Politics

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3 ... 19 20 21  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Female, 40
Province/State: Michigan
City: Midland
Re: Empowering Women and Politics
Jul 3, 2007

Interesting thoughts...I'm wondering if you could explain what you mean by "women are victims of modernity not male dominance"? I'd be interested to hear what you mean by that. It seems to me that throughout history, including present times, male dominance has played a key role. Its only in modern times that people have begun to question the male dominant role, at least in some cultures--in others, women have had equal power (or more) for much longer. Thanks for elaborating on your thoughts smile

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile rschack PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
EL-TAWE

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Sud-Ouest
City: Kumba
Jul 5, 2007

Women and politics is not the issue,I think empowerment is what we should advocate for.For when I think of the MDGs,I see the woman,this is particularly so because of the interconnection that exist between these goals.

Think of goal three,that aims at Promoting gender equality and women empowerment.

We realized that if the woman is empowered, poverty and hunger would be things of the past,as they would realize the valuable they are expected to play in the development process.This would curb her continuous dependence on the men(male) for their every needs. what do you expect in a society where the girl child is made to understand that she has to depend on the man for her every need worst still basics like pads,undies etc.

Poverty it must be noted is the ingredient that fuels the HIV/AIDS Pandemic.No doubt as studies have shown that women in the most impoverished communities are the hardest hit by AIDS,malaria etc.With empowerment,women would have a say when it comes to decisions like the use of condom,the size of the family etc.This would go along way not only to improve maternal health,but reduce Child mortality, early and unwanted pregnancies.

Empowering the woman would bring a shift from the common subsistence kind of farming which comprise of slash and burn,this not only reduces the yield due to increasing infertility,it causes an increase in demand for farmlands which worsen the problem created by the high population density as predicted by the Malthusian theorem on Population.

The above notwithstanding women in politics,could better advocate on behalf of their folk.Think of female genital mutilation and breast ironing,these represents one of the worst cases of human rights abuses perpetuated by women .I strongly believe social empowerment is the only way out.Lets strive to teach our mothers,wives,aunts,sisters and friends how to fish so that they stop asking for fish.

Member Profile tawe PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
vas

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 38
Province/State: Delhi
City: Kalkaji
Jul 6, 2007

India is been trying to get 33% reservation for women in legislative assembly.but there has not been any consensus on the issue.

Member Profile vas21 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Big_will

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Male, 32
Province/State: Nairobi Area
City: Westlands
Jul 9, 2007

telling a woman to enter politics is like asking a cat to take a bath. women dont like politics. its not that they cannot become polticians, neither is it because they are women, but rather because of the way that they are brought up. this is not to say that some women have not become politicians. look at Margaret Thatcher, Tibaijuka-the UN represeatative in Africa, Condelezza Rice...the list is endless. they are examples of women who conquered the stereotypes, who refused to conform to mainstream thinking and broke the chains of traditions. For women to be encouraged to join politics we must first try to change the way they are brought up. we cure only the symptom and not the cause if we neglect to do that. The task is overwhelming but not impossible. it requires patience, time and resources

Member Profile onyorewilliam PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Becky

Jul 9, 2007

Onyo, I agree with you that we need to start changing the social expectations of women's roles from early in the lives of women. However, I think its rather of a stereotypical stretch to say that "women don't like politics." Perhaps women that you know don't like politics but certainly not all, or even most women--probably not even a sizable fraction of women. To me thats absurd! I know lots of women, myself included, who have an interest in politics. Its not a lack of interest that keeps women out of the political arena, but its a lack of empowerment as this thread has suggested and a lack of social expectations that allow for women to be assertive, indepedent, confident, educated and most importantly viewed as such by men!

Nanjekho

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Female, 42
Province/State: Rift Valley
City: Kajiado
Jul 9, 2007

kirstenjordan wrote:

One of the MDGs is about gender equality and empowering women. My question is how do we encourage more women to enter the world of politics? Studies have shown that women are more likely to get involved in politics if they are involved from a young age. What are your thoughts?

My take on this is that we need to come up with a strong mentorship framework and empower our ladies from a tender age with the right leadership competencies. Men will also have to play a role - we need to educate them and have them appreciate that by engaging women they reach a wider network and have a bigger impact on policies and their implementation

Member Profile Nanjekho PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Thabiso Ephraim Teffo

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 34
Jul 11, 2007

The debate around empowering women in politics, its very important, who are this women,?which we are speaking about, they are our mothers , many people who have intention of denying women responsibilty they say that , they need to be empowered , one of the most important question is do we still oppress them ? and expect them to be at home, we can fight lot of cultural mishaps and upbringing , i hope and believe that we shall and succed in making sure , women empowerement is a realisable objectives , they are lot of countries which still regard women as objects therefore there is a need to make sure that we expose this inhuman behaviour .

Member Profile thabiso PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Kwakwae Kemuel

Province/State: Malaita
Jul 11, 2007

This is definetly a good discussion topic. I'm interested in your suggestion that women should involve in politics at the younger age.

In relation to this it is also imprtant to ask whether or not young people could be active and effective partners in decision making processes.

In 2006 we the Solomon Islands have actually ran a pilot project called the "Youth in Parliament Pilot Project'", in which we actually made a survey to identify a suitable candiate on behalf young people in Solomon Islands in one of the constituency we had.

After a great deal of deliberations and sacrifies we actually went to the polls and our candidate a male of 28 years took the 10th place out of 20 contestestants with 202 votes.

The whole idea was to set precedence for more emphasis on young peoples issues and to give the message before the nation that its time to address issues pertaining to young people.

What were our achievements?

1.Throung our strong advocacy after the elections with the help of NGOs a new ministry for women, youth and children was established.
2. Although SIYC did not have a financial base it has gradually becoming a stakeholder on youth issues. big grin

Member Profile Kemuel PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
ashfaque

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Male, 37
Province/State: Sindh
City: Sukkur
Jul 18, 2007

it has pointed out the 78% women here in pakistan face the sexual harrassment at their worplaces,due to muslim country most of the women do not argue with their bosses and leave their jobs or stayed harrased due to fear regarding loss of job and stigma as well discrimination from the society., in such kind of society what kind hope and light can be given to women empowerment.

Member Profile ashfaquehussain PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
issa ajao

Province/State: Lagos
City: Lagos
Aug 2, 2007

“It takes a lot for a woman to stand out as an entrepreneur in Nigeria.
Discrimination, Family obligations, societal expectations, you name it!

Despite the odds, 25 wonderful women have risen to the limelight and captured our attention and admiration by their success.

This book reveals to you the challenges, issues and special moments of a contemporary Nigerian woman as experienced by these select individuals.
We invite you to be inspired by great minds, great words and great stories!

Let’s celebrate achievements!

Let’s celebrate ouselves!”

Order Online!
@
http://www.celebratingnigerianwomen.com

Member Profile issymiyaki PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
nlsmlla

Gender & Age: Male, 38
Province/State: Kabol
City: Kabul
Aug 4, 2007

although we are concidered as the most uncivillized people with less then
45 % letracy rate, not enoughly democratic but still i can prove that
women in our society had enough power and were an active partners in politics. in 18th century English soldiers marched from the Indian ocean and invaded our country(afghanistan)
war started afghan civillians were weak and it seemed as if they will loose the battle but one women holding a flag
came in to the battle field and made a war Cry (Tappa).She provoked every
man to fight well and defend as a result
afghan men fought well and Victory was their's. The women Was martayred at the battle field ..
Death of a woman Bought
Victory for a nation .
for confirmation check
page's from Histroy
her name was Malalai
so i can say that our women were at that time fully empowered ,
we have many other example's too.
Mother of Ahmad shah Abdali was
a great polititian. Once her son the
Great Abdali decided to build
wall around the city. he asked her advice she in repllied that "Men do not
protect themselves by walls"
he accepted her advice .

Member Profile Asmatander PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Patricia Sudi

Poster Rank: Chatterbox
Virtual Volunteer

Province/State: Nairobi Area
City: Nairobi
Aug 9, 2007

Its very true,women need to be empowered at a ver early age on their socio-economic and political responsibility in their socities and important it is for them to play an activie role. It makes then realise their potential at an early stage thus when they grow up they cannot be marginalised by being shut out and made to feel inferior.

Member Profile patsibo PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Konan Richmond

Province/State: Abidjan
City: Port-Bouët
Aug 27, 2007

Empowering wemen and politics! What a beautifull phrase! But how to make it come true ? I answer EDUCATION !!! Education at the start and education at the end. But before, we have to know how to bring education whithin the reach of women? I think if we deal with this problem will be ok.

Member Profile ricky83 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Konan Richmond

Province/State: Abidjan
City: Port-Bouët
Aug 27, 2007

Empowering wemen and politics! What a beautifull phrase! But how to make it come true ? I answer EDUCATION !!! Education at the start and education at the end. But before, we have to know how to bring education whithin the reach of women? I think if we deal with this problem will be ok.

Member Profile ricky83 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Becky

Aug 27, 2007

I completely agree...but let's not forget the importance of education for men as well. They need to realize that women are capable of holding political offices. They also need to be taught that women can be both mothers and successful with their careers. So, access to education for both genders is crucial.

« BACK TO FORUM