FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3  »
Author

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
girls = boys
Mar 31, 2003

I , as a girl think that me and anyother girl is capable of ANYTHING a man is. I mean , hey look at some of the stuff us girls go through that men dont but couldnt anyway. How many men here could go through pregnancy ....... errr , not alot. And where did this reputation for girls come from? I know of many MEN that can't do the stuff i do , well , thanks for your time.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile cutay90 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Fiona

Poster Rank: Talkative

Re: women are as capable as men
Mar 31, 2003

yes ppls, if a woman can handle a job that men have taken power over with many years. that can prove that women are as capable as men. women can take on the same challenges. they have the same abilities and are able to do the same amount of work. the world is suppose and meant to be equal. eventhough in the past centuries men ruled, but now its a differnt time. men and women are equal!! yes yes you go cheets, luke and mikael!

Member Profile Fionalau PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Sukhpreet

Gender & Age: Female, 28
City: Scarborough
Mar 31, 2003

ya me too!! I can't wait till the first women prime minister in Canada. Actually I world be very surpised and happy to hear of any female leader of any country.

Member Profile sukhpreet PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Mikael

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Province/State: Quebec
City: Montréal
Mar 31, 2003

Cheets makes a good point. If some women have low self-esteem, it must have alot to do with society and discrimination against them. But like Cheets said, many women have made critical contributions to society. Alot of them, like Rosalind Franklin, go relatively unnoticed... Franklin played a huge role in figuring out the structure of DNA. This does not lessen the importance of their contribution in any way.

I know alot of women who have high self-esteem and who are more productive and creative than most of the guys I know, so I don't think your rules apply in general, Roshan...

Member Profile mikael PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Sukhpreet

Apr 1, 2003

I agree. Females do have self-confidents. If they didn't the world wouldn't be what it is today.

Roshan, when you were saying that women don't have ANY self- confident, i think you were refering to the girls at our school. Well I'm not sure what your talking about because their are a lot of girls (like myself) who have a lot of self-confidence, and work hard to acheive their goal.

Actually now Im starting to think that I should be a politican.

Member Profile sukhpreet PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Roshan Jeyakumar

City: Markham
Apr 2, 2003

Um... wow cheets u named a couple of women! WOW! guess what thats not alot! N michel um a handful of peopl eis not IN GENERAL! look... i am not saying boiz are betta but im saying thast they IN GENERAL do not have self-esteem. I already sed that this was because of the society that we live in! Did i say that THEY ALLL ARE SHY! WOW! I think that the ratio for women that have self esteem is like 1:10. No i am not only saying my school! I am saying in general! I doo admit though that that number will surely increase at the rate its going right now because noo the society is changing and women are begining to step in and have a say! But still most females are very introverted. And for the smart thing! In government records it is actually sayin that Girls tend to be smarter, (ACEDIMIC WISE).

Member Profile Roshan PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Mikael

Apr 3, 2003

Roshan, where do you get the facts your using to make these statements? Some women may have self-esteem problems, but so do some men, and you can't make a sweeping statement about women in general being less confident unless you have some actual statistics to prove it...

Roshan Jeyakumar

Apr 3, 2003

You guys actually think that in general girls have as much self-esteem. OMG! Im just gonna forget this topic cuss u guys ain't gettin it and u guys are just using specific examples not general ones. And i don think they gonna make a statistic chart on wheather bois or galz have mor self-esteem! How can u prove the fact that they have as much huh? And don't jus name a couple of women cuss i can name lots of men too! Show proof!

Mikael

Apr 3, 2003

Originally posted by Roshan You guys actually think that in general girls have as much self-esteem. OMG! Im just gonna forget this topic cuss u guys ain't gettin it and u guys are just using specific examples not general ones. And i don think they gonna make a statistic chart on wheather bois or galz have mor self-esteem! How can u prove the fact that they have as much huh? And don't jus name a couple of women cuss i can name lots of men too! Show proof!

Actually, Roshan, you're the one who made the claim about women, so it's up to you to prove it. All I have to do to disprove what you're saying is to point out that you have no proof.

Upon doing a brief search online for relevant info, I came upon this statement: "Although the majority of adolescent girls are healthy and show signs of strong mental health, 1 in 4 girls exhibits depressive symptoms-a rate 50 percent higher than that for boys. Girls who exhibited symptoms of poor mental health also indicated that they often lacked a source of support during times when they felt great stress or depression. (Commonwealth Fund. 1997. The Commonwealth Fund Survey of the Health of Adolescent Girls. Conducted by Louis Harris and Associates. [CFS])"

This is from http://www.prevlink.org/therightstuff/campaign/statisticsg.html

A caveat: this quote shows that adolescent girls may be more prone to depression that guys. This has nothing to do with whether boys are "better" than girls or not. To argue that it does is like arguing that white people are better than black people because their per capita salary is higher on average. You can't make the statement that any one group is "better" than any other group because "better" is a completely subjective quality. Objectively speaking, women are exposed to more pressure from the media and society to conform than men are, and this may explain the lower self-confidence.

What I'm trying to say is that you can't argue that men are better than women because of this fact. Levels of confidence has little to do with the quality of the people in the group, and more to do with the pressures that particular group is subjected to.

annie

Apr 5, 2003

What are you taking about Roshan??? Women are as capable as men. Women do have the same ability as men you know! Shouldn’t everyone be treated the same. Not all guys can beat girls in sport u know? Women can handle as much pressure as men can. So like I said, women can do anything men can do if they try!

Member Profile anna17 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Roshan Jeyakumar

Apr 10, 2003

ANNA that is what i am saying but i am also saying that they are afraid of trying because of our community but things are changing. And Mikeal i never sed that boys in general were SMARTER than girls. I jus sed that the girls have low esteem. And Mikeal u r saying that the i can't prove my point but u cant prove ur point either so i don no what ur sayin.

Eling

Apr 10, 2003

Um, Roshan, your sarcasm may get you attention from other people but it won't get you to have a strong and effective post. It's just that, where did you the idea of guys always beating girls at sport!!?!?! I really don't get that. Girls do speak up and stand up for themselves but maybe is due to the reason that YOU never notice it(because you are too busy underestimating girls)! Some guys hog the ball at gym time. Whatever sport it is, some guys(NOT all)only pass it to other guys because they think girls can't lead to winning the game. I just want to say, underestimating girls is not a bright idea.

Girls have low self-esteem??!?!?!?!? We don't want to answer questions so quickly is because we don't want to. So what if we like to check our answers? At least we TRY so we could get the RIGHT answer. Not because we are too scared! or we are too weak!

Member Profile Eling PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Brinda

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Female, 26
Apr 10, 2003

Kim cambell did not quit politics.she just didnt get enough votes on the new idea she gave so she got kicked out.(that's what a teacher told me)Also luke,mikel and cheets thanks for supporting women.Aleast there are SOME people that think women are equally capable.And Roshan i don't think women are lacking mental stenght.You don't usualy see men cooking lunch and dinner everyday now do u?Us women have to remember each ingredint for each meal.U can't find many men doing house work and laundry nowadays.Women are equally capable of doing the same things men can(espessaly mentaly)
And low esteem my foot!Also if ROSA PARKS didn't stand up for her rights ppl with dark skin wouldn't be living the life they r living.She had self-esteem and would u look at that she's a women.

Member Profile Brinda PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Mikael

Apr 11, 2003

Roshan, you've said that the vast majority of women are introverted. There's a difference between saying that some women have low self-esteem and saying that the majority of women are too scared or intimidated to speak out for themselves, which is not the case.

If some women DO have low self-esteem, I would say that society plays a large role in this. Society tends to project a very particular image of how women are supposed to act and look, and many women may want to fit in to this image. I know that this can be incredibly nerve-wracking and I find it really unfortunate... my female friends are all beautiful in their own ways but some of them try to be something that they're not, and I think that everyone should realize that they can't possibly hope to look like models. Models, in terms of genetics, are the rarity smile

Michelle Hakimyar

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Apr 11, 2003

gooooooooooooooo luke go luke go luke you are so right oh and roshan keep your mouth closed and come face me in a sport!

Member Profile MsThang PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM