TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesGlobalizationDoes unemployment cause poverty?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  »
Author

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Re: Does unemployment cause poverty?
Mar 17, 2011

Yes it does. people not in employment can aford nessesityis which are vital for there day to day living. this will also create insecurity. people with nothing to do will joine dad gangs start steeling thus creating insecurity.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile BensonOkaka PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
chijinco

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Province/State: Anambra
City: Awka
Apr 20, 2011

unemployment is the mother of poverty
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Okonkwo Chijioke O.
heal the world and make it a better place

Member Profile chijinco PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Keely Welsh

Province/State: British Columbia
City: Salmon Arm
May 21, 2011

Poverty...

Being unemployed obviously doesn't help. I think if you're smart with your money while employed and keep saving, then you won't ever be faced with poverty. Being unemployed is one thing, but being in poverty is very extreme. I believe that you're either born into poverty and you struggle your entire life unless you do something to change it. Or, you make some bad choices and as a result you become faced with poverty.

Either way poverty isn't definite. There's always a way out, you just have to work for it.

Member Profile keelyshae PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Anne Shaw

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Sep 26, 2011

At present unemployment and poverty are the two major challenges that are facing the world economy. Unemployment leads to financial crisis and reduces the overall purchasing capacity of a nation. This in turn results in poverty followed by increasing burden of debt.
Apart from unemployment there are many other factors causing poverty such as population, recession, illiteracy rate in some countries.

Member Profile anne12 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Henry Ekwuruke

Virtual Volunteer

Province/State: Abia
City: Umuahia
Oct 14, 2011

Unemployment is another name for poverty. It's only the words T and V that are lacking from unemployment to poverty. We have to discover our true self and guard our values to transform from unemployed to employed. From poverty to millionaires. Thanks.

Member Profile ekwuruke PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
christa lambert

Gender & Age: Female, 42
Province/State: Arizona
City: Tucson
Nov 16, 2011

No I don't think Unemployment causes poverty. Its the people well at least here in the U.S.A that are on unemployment, food stamps, TANF, SSI, and so on that are taking advantage of the system! the ones in the food stamp office dressed in their name brand clothes, wearing a lot of nice jewlery, who drove to the office in their 2010 bran new car or truck. These people who have no plans to better their lives and get off of these programs. people who plan to keep milking the system are part of the things that cause poverty. The other most contributing factor causing poverty is the cost of living and these major prices people have to pay for the basic things people need to live life. just for example the cost of gas, milk, clothing. just my thoughts on the subject since I am a member of what would be considered Poverty.

Member Profile celambert PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
FattyYoMama

City: Koreare
Nov 24, 2011

well if people dont hve homes they cant give an adress for a job application so basically if u dont hve a home u dont get a job but if u dont get a job so most people get trapped between this. so in order to get that person untrapped a third person has to come in nd help tht other person

Member Profile cookies1998 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Transcription Certification Institute

Poster Rank: Talkative

Province/State: California
City: Irvine
Dec 2, 2011

Definitely not only poverty but it is also one of the reason for criminal activities. For money people use to do crime. If they will have job then they won't go for it. Here i have a wonderful concept of work at home. It doesn't require huge capital, only small investment and you will be owner of a home based business which not only provide the employment but also keep away from wrong activities. So just leave the drawbacks and start with the new morning and you will find no more poverty around you . So when you will start??

Member Profile startyourcareer PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Anita Ngozi Amateze

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Female, 30
Dec 5, 2011

I'm of the opinion that Unemployment contributes alot to poverty. Life in most african countries or asia shows you the magnitutude of harm inflicted on families by poverty(lack, scarcity) due to unemployment. Apart from one's passion for certain professions, one of the major reasons for working is to earn a living.. . Secondly, i think reduction of unemployment does not only alleviate poverty in the society, it as well bring about national development and economic growth......

Member Profile nytta PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Chenty Abu

Gender & Age: Female, 2017
Province/State: Northern
City: Tamale
Dec 7, 2011

Yes unemployment is a societal canker. however, one can avoid poverty in unemploymt. Just get smart, never give up and dont look down upon any kind of job. There is so mch to do out there, our problem is; this job is demeaning, tideous or the salary is small. its one step at a time to the top.

Member Profile Chenty PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Charles BO

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Kaduna
City: Kaduna
Dec 8, 2011

Well,it doesn't cause poverty but it sure contributes to poverty.

Member Profile Charl3s PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
shanthi

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Karnataka
City: Mysore
Dec 26, 2011

yes...it eventually leads to poverty..

Member Profile shanthi21 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Lily Chen

Province/State: British Columbia
City: Vancouver
Jan 17, 2012

Well... yes and no.

No, because I don't think unemployment by itself would cause poverty, since a large part of any society would consist of the working poor. In my opinion, it is the social situation within a community that would directly amount to poverty (child labor, insufficient social safety net, lack of regulation of wages - especially if the minimum wage is too low or if a minimum wage does not exist, etc).

However, in economic depressions or even recessions unemployment magnifies the degree of poverty within a nation. This is because the government obtains its revenue from taxpayers' money, and if too many people are not making any money, the government would not have as much revenue to pay off its expenditures. This can lead to an annual deficit and eventually debt. But, if said government also provides the masses with a wide range of social securities, these securities would slowly begin to diminish as the government's deficit rises. This would result in something similar to the social situation mentioned in my previous paragraph.

Member Profile LilyChen PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Taylor English

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Jan 31, 2012

I think that unemployment can contribute to unemployment but I don't think it is the sole cause for unemployment. It's all about budgeting and making smart decisions.

Member Profile tayenglish PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Kathryn Sabo

Gender & Age: Female, 27
Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Apr 4, 2012

I think that it is safe to say that being unemployed is associated with lack of funds. One might naturally think that a person who is persistently unemployed would be living in poverty.
This being said, this person would not be able to acquire a sufficient amount of fund to be able to live above the povertyline.
On the other hand, you could be a millionaire and still be unemployed.
I guess its generally thought that being unemployed and living in poverty are not mustually exclusive, but they are.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Kat Sabo

Member Profile KathrynSabo PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM