FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Female & 40
Province/State: Michigan
City: Midland
chat rooms
May 17, 2006

I'm pretty new to this site so this suggestion may be a duplicate or may even already exist and I just haven't found it yet. I think communication and discussion would be greatly enhanced with the ability to chat. This would be a step above discussion boards because we could communicate in real-time and have more of a dialogue. Discussion boards could still be useful and used for general discussions or for people who want a broader response. There might even be a question of the day/week or something similar to get people chatting, although it seems like TIG members have many great ideas and opinions that a start-up question might not be necessary. Thanks smile

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile rschack PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Hugh Switzer

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Re: chat rooms
May 17, 2006

Hello and welcome to TIG!

This very topic has been discused many times and here is the outcome.

We've had a chat room up multiple times and each time no one uses it. So we then stop paying for the chat software and then people say they want it. It's like an evil merry-go-round that won't stop :P

In anycase, we are hoping to add some small new features which will hopefully help members better connect to each other and (hopefully) once this is done, we can seriously look at adding a chat room back onto the website.

We also occasionally run moderated chats on specific topics which usually revolve around the featured theme or other special event. What is strange however, is that usually only 10-20 people show up, which is partially why we aren't really encouraged to create a dedicated chat room.

In the mean time, TIG messenger is a fairly good way to connect to other members and the messages are delivered instantly.

Again, welcome to the TIG community and thank you for letting us know that there is still interest out there!

Member Profile hugh PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Michael Furdyk

TIG Staff

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Weekly Chat
May 18, 2006

Something we will hopefully try soon is a weekly chat on a specific topic like you suggested. Some weeks we might have guests, other weeks might be free for all. Do you think Saturday is a bad day for this? It's sometimes best because most people are out of school?

Member Profile mfurdyk PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Becky

Gender & Age: Female, 40
Re:
May 18, 2006

Thanks for your prompt respsonse to my suggestion. Its too bad that chat rooms haven't been much used in the past. Obviously the experience of a chat room is based not only on a good topic of discussion but more importantly the people who use it. If there isn't an interest among other TIGers then I suppose there is no point in doing all the work to create a chat feature. Perhaps you could do a poll? That would allow you to see if there is an interest in a chat room feature (besides mine--chatting by myself would be a bit odd!) as well as when the best day would be for a more organized chat. I think its probably impossible to find a day or time that works best for everyone given that people who use this website are likely to be in multiple time zones. Maybe the organized chat could span two days, like a Friday and a Saturday or a Sunday and Monday, giving both a weekend and weekday possibility. Thanks again!

simon fenton- jones

May 23, 2006

At the risk of taking this discussion from one extreme to another; If we wanted to have a discussion in real time, wouldn't it make more sense to use the Accessgrid?

This stuff would seem to becoming pretty cheap now. What TIG has done in three years in providing a global online learning environment deserves to be complemeted with the high bandwidth stuff now, especially with the African connection.

It's the only way i can see to bring a few global conversations together, regularly, so people can see the whites in another's eyes, so they can believe it.

Worth a discussion with Arif and his mates at OARnet?

Member Profile simonfj PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Becky

Gender & Age: Female, 40
May 24, 2006

I think your suggestion sounds good although I'm not entirely sure what Accessgrid is lol. I'm guessing it has something to do with video chatting. This would certainly be a great possibility and add a very interactive and exciting dimension to this website. However the only caveat would be the amount of memory required to run such a program. Until recently when I finally bought a new computer, webcams and other certain chat programs (including Yahoo and MSN) were not able to be run on my computer. I worry that many other people would have the same problem as my computer was not even as old as the ones that I have at work. Maybe if there were two options for the type of chat...or maybe thats just getting too complicated!

Hugh Switzer

May 24, 2006

Full on video chat would be near to impossible for a majority of our members because of computer constaints and bandwidth restrictions. However, our partner Chat the Planet has some pretty great chat software that allows up to 4 people to have a video feed while others can simply use the text chat. Hopefully we can start using it in the fututre. I really recommend you check it out smile

Member Profile hugh PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
simon fenton- jones

May 25, 2006

Thanks guys,

I'm not suggesting that this is a technical discussion. It's more a discussion about collaborating with a few people in global unis. and other orgs. The AG is starting to mature now. http://www.accessgrid.org/
Here's an idea of what they're talking about.

http://www.oln.org/conferences/ODCE2006/aboutODCE2006.php

And the infrastructure is pretty extensive.
http://www.accessgrid.org/community/nodes/nodes.html

Just received a reply from a Bob Dixon, who seems to be the man responsible for the annual megaconference. My main message to him is that we need some small regular meetings instead of the huge annual one, in order to give this kind of global education a pulse, and taken seriously.

As far as other collaborating orgs are concerned
E.g http://www.erotarylondon.org/forum/

But if you want the technical only this is bob's reply .

The traditional Access Grid is typically big and expensive and hard to use for naive users and overkill for what seems to be the need.
The commercial version by INSorc is better, but still overkill. It did not get top reviews in the recent Collaboranza. There are now about 200 products available in the Collaboration Tools arena, too many for anyone to evaluate. Several organizations have done extensive evaluations, and offered to make them public. I am gathering all of these, and they will be placed on the Internet2 Commons web pages. If you just want to do good video conferencing, then Polycom's PVX software and a recent Logitech camera is the best of breed. If you want collaboration tools, plus mediocre video, then tools like Marratech and Breeze seem to be leading the pack.

Arghh! This software!

This post was edited on: 2006-05-25

This post was edited on: 2006-05-25

Member Profile simonfj PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
George C. Owens

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Male, 62
Province/State: Tennessee
City: Memphis
Jun 18, 2007

Hugh,

I have no idea what the soft-ware for a chat room would cost but I can't see it working on TIG. Even if all 150,000 members were active the numbers would not be there. I come on TIG a couple of times a day and I see over 600 guest at any given time, I will assume a lot are members reading and don't want to be bothered. And I see from 6 to at the most 40 members logged/on. The few times I have been in chat rooms they were just babel or just one or 2 chatting together and then another little group and then another little group......, still just babel. The Discussion boards are chat rooms that warp time. One thing you might change is let Re. show up on the TIG home page after we Log/on.

george

Member Profile GeorgeCO PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
henry oriokot

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied
Virtual Volunteer

Nov 26, 2008

[link="http://"]HOW HAS TAKINGIT GLOBAL AFFECTED YOUR LIFE.FOR ME ITS REALY VERY GREAT BECAUSE IT HAS REAL MADE ME MEET VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE WHO HAVE ADVICED ME ON HOW TO IMPROVE BOLDNESS AND PRESENTING ISSUES AND IDO BELIEVE THAT WE HAVE ABRIGHT FUTURE IN OUR ORGANISATION.

Member Profile henryoriokot PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Chris Checky

Gender & Age: Female, 46
Province/State: Florida
City: Jacksonville
Aug 12, 2009

I'm new to the see but I love a lot of its features. Keep up the good work. cheap checks cheap personal checks

Member Profile cheapy01 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Bobby Torez

Gender & Age: Other, 52
Province/State: Florida
City: Jacksonville
Aug 14, 2009

Hello,

I love the site and am taking a look around. Has a lot of good things going on I see.

free money for bills
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
free money for bills

Member Profile fremoney01 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM