TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesEnvironmentNatural Disasters - God's curse or something else?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male & 30
Province/State: Sindh
City: Karachi
Natural Disasters - God's curse or something else?
Dec 22, 2005

Tsunami, hurricane Katrina, Wilma, rita, Earthquakes in Pakistan and elsewhere, floods, and storms all around the world......

Are these a curse of God on the humanity as a punishment, or are they just a natural phenomenon due to changes in the earth?

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile saadiqbal PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Desire--Clitand

Gender & Age: Male, 37
Re: Natural Disasters - God's curse or something else?
Dec 24, 2005

Au regarde de ce propos, on a l'impression que l'homme pourrait quelque chose contre la nature.

Or, il n'en est rien. Tant que l'homme restera homme et la nature, nature, on assistera toujours à ce genres de catastrophes. L'homme n'est qu'un élément périssable de la nature, qui aspire à la perfection. Mais la perfection, il me semble n'est pas de ce monde. Pour cela, malgré la technologie avancée, on pourra aller sur la lune, mars et etc., il y aura toujours des catastrophes naturelles.

Nous le disons d'ailleurs, ce sont las catastrophes naturelles et nul ne peut rien contre la nature en ce bas monde.

Dire par contre que c'est le présage de la fin du monde me paraît un peu déplacer. Il me semble que nous devons être un peu plus pragmatique pour remarquer que depuis des millénaires, il y a toujours eu des catastrophes, les unes plus graves que les autres.

Par conséquent, ce n'est que normal que la terre tremble tout comme un homme gronde, un enfant pleure, une femme crie.

Member Profile dzonteu PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Desire--Clitand

Gender & Age: Male, 37
Dec 24, 2005

With looks at this matter, one has the impression which the man could something against nature. However, it of it is nothing. As long as the man will remain man and nature, nature, one will always attend this kinds of catastrophes.

The man is only one perishable element of the nature, which aspires to the perfection. But the perfection, it seems to me is not this world. For that, in spite of the leading-edge technology, one will be able to go over the moon, March and etc, there will be always natural disasters.

We say it besides, they are tired natural disasters and null nothing against nature in this low world can. To say on the other hand that it is predicts it end of the world appears to me a little to move. It seems to me that we must be a little more pragmatic to notice than since millenia, there were always catastrophes, the ones more serious than the others. Consequently, it is only normal that the ground trembles as a man just like thunders, a child cries, a woman shouts.

Member Profile dzonteu PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Hayk

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth
Virtual Volunteer

Province/State: Al Qahirah
City: Al Qahirah
Jan 5, 2006

the problems is that the pace is much more accelerated of these catastrophes and i dont remember any such big cases as huricanes in indian or chinese region in the past..

well we shouldnt forget Thera (estimated 1528BC) and Vesuvius(79AD) or Europes Little Ice Age(estimated 1550-1850)but nonetheless the recent pace of climate catastrophes, hurricanes,.. is certainly the result of advanced human activity, especially since Industrial Revolution the active use and abuse of natural resources of the Earth and much careless approach to dumping of chemical residues of production into the nature.. and yes lets not forget the frequently mentionned green gaz emission problem..

i hardly think Apocalypse has to do with all this but certainly if humans do not stop doing things they do in ways they do humans will not have much more time to enjoy all their technological inventions...

Member Profile mnopq PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
sulail

Gender & Age: Female, 27
Province/State: Sindh
City: Karachi
Aug 13, 2006

well defintely wen a nation involves itself too much in sins and wrong duings thn such diasasters are the alarms frm gods side..

Member Profile sulail PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
e.sum

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Aug 14, 2006

dzonteu wrote:

Au regarde de ce propos, on a l'impression que l'homme pourrait quelque chose contre la nature.

Or, il n'en est rien. Tant que l'homme restera homme et la nature, nature, on assistera toujours à ce genres de catastrophes. L'homme n'est qu'un élément périssable de la nature, qui aspire à la perfection. Mais la perfection, il me semble n'est pas de ce monde. Pour cela, malgré la technologie avancée, on pourra aller sur la lune, mars et etc., il y aura toujours des catastrophes naturelles.

Nous le disons d'ailleurs, ce sont las catastrophes naturelles et nul ne peut rien contre la nature en ce bas monde.

Dire par contre que c'est le présage de la fin du monde me paraît un peu déplacer. Il me semble que nous devons être un peu plus pragmatique pour remarquer que depuis des millénaires, il y a toujours eu des catastrophes, les unes plus graves que les autres.

Par conséquent, ce n'est que normal que la terre tremble tout comme un homme gronde, un enfant pleure, une femme crie.

Thanks for your translation! FYI, the French boards would like to have new members, so francophones, please feel free to check it out - the link is at the top of the page.

Translation for Francophone readers/pour les Francophones:
Merci pour ton traduction! Pour ton information, les TIG boards Francais voudrais du "members" nouveau. C'est facile les trouver - il y a un "link" au dessus des boards Anglais. (excusez-moi pour ma grammaire mauvais! Je n'ai pas etudie Francais pour longtemps!!)

This post was edited on: 2006-08-14 at 11:49 AM by: esum

Member Profile esum PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Hayk

Virtual Volunteer

Province/State: Al Qahirah
City: Al Qahirah
Aug 14, 2006

Every period of human history was characterized by some endemic or a war to somehow balance the "advance" and thus increase of human populaiton around the world. Example endemics include Black Death, influenza, tuberculesis. Example wars include 100-years war, WW1, WW2.

As can be noticed, human population and its "advances" in technology have multiplied during recent years. So, as a consequence, increased a human population (more then twice during recent 50 years according to certain estimates)..And so might increase the frequency of natural disasters, cataclism or a probability of global war in order "to keep pace" with recent human developments...

Interestingly, this "tendancy" which shows correlation between human populaiton increase and increased frequency of natural disasters and wars can be seen in another example: forest and its habitation. Whenever number of animals in the forest goes up and their consequent ability to "destroy" the very habitat they live in increases, there usually comes some natural disaster or some "purging" of the forest which leaves the "fittest" alive and kills the "weakest" which "brings back" the equilibrium..

It is curious but it seems to me that there are parallels in these two cases...

Member Profile mnopq PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Ibrahim kane

Gender & Age: Male, 32
Province/State: Laayoune
Aug 18, 2006

It's a long time that iIve been thinking of the same question; It really disturbed me for a long time, that if you didn't write it I would be the one who did!
Now I deaply believe that finding out the sourse of these desasters(wheather they are God curses or just natural phenomenon due to changes in the world)is not important in comparison with defining the fields in which we are asked to take action so that we can live in an environnementally safe world. Here I can monsion the following actors that can take action :
* NGOs.
* Economists (sutainable devollopment).
*International organisations(passing laws that protect environnement).........

And we all should think twice abuot the way we act and we live. we sould start wadering if God is satisfied about the things we do with his creachures, then we'll have to start making changes.

Member Profile p-h PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
BVM

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Manila
Aug 21, 2006

When you think of the Earth as a living thing, it makes much more sense.

Member Profile bvmisa PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Anu maheshwari

Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Female, 33
Province/State: Maharashtra
City: Pune
Aug 25, 2006

check out Jared Diamond's Collapse.

[link="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0670033375/102-6924269-6620151?v=glance&n=283155&qu ot;]

It provides a lot of information and a good insight into this matter.

But yes one thing is sure....humans cannot get rid of their guilty conscience by blaming it on God ....the tragedies most of the time are man-made and soemtimes nature takes its own course ...

Anu

This post was edited on: 2006-08-25 at 12:07 PM by: anuriandima84

Member Profile anuriandima84 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Anu maheshwari

Virtual Volunteer

Aug 26, 2006

bvmisa wrote:

anuriandima84 wrote:

check out Jared Diamond's Collapse.

[link="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0670033375/102-6924269-6620151?v=glance&n=283155&qu ot;]

It provides a lot of information and a good insight into this matter.

But yes one thing is sure....humans cannot get rid of their guilty conscience by blaming it on God ....the tragedies most of the time are man-made and soemtimes nature takes its own course ...

Anu

This post was edited on: 2006-08-25 at 12:07 PM by: anuriandima84

I agree! This book is amazing. Check out also Guns, Germs, and Steel, his book before Collapse.

I think he talks more about phenomenon like soil erosion though... but there is a large connection as to how we are able to cope with rains, drought, etc.

This post was edited on: 2006-08-26 at 06:18 AM by: bvmisa

Yes ,

He actually gives a balanced view on how nature sometimes takes its own course to erase a civilisation and how at other times humans dig their own graves by being reckless !
he also gives lot of examples to make the points clearer.
Although i dont agree with all the things he says as there have been evidence contrary to what he says and his is just one perspective on things....still the book is a must read !
Cheers
Anu

Anu maheshwari

Virtual Volunteer

Aug 27, 2006

Third of China 'hit by acid rain'

Local leaders are accused of putting economics before environment
One third of China is suffering from acid rain caused by rapid industrial growth, an official report quoted by the state media says.
Pollution levels have risen and air quality has deteriorated, the report found. This comes despite a pledge by the authorities to clean up the air.

In the latest incident, a reservoir serving 100,000 people in north-west China was polluted by a chemical spill.

China has some of the world's most polluted cities and rivers.

The pollution inspection report to the standing committee of parliament found that 25.5 million tonnes of sulphur dioxide were spewed out, mainly from the country's coal-burning factories last year - up 27% from 2000.

Emissions of sulphur dioxide - the chemical that causes acid rain - were double the safe level, the report said. In some areas, rainfall was 100% acid rain, it added.

"Increased sulphur dioxide emissions meant that one-third of China's territory was affected by acid rain, posing a major threat to soil and food safety," Sheng Huaren of the standing committee, was quoted by state media as saying.

Caustic soda

Local governments were accused of overlooking environmental regulations in the rush for economic development.

"It is especially worrying that most local governments base economic growth on energy consuming industries, disregarding the environment's capacity to sustain industrial expansion," Mr Sheng said.

His report echoes the findings from the State Environmental Protection Administration (SEPA) released earlier this month.

In July, China announced it planned to spend 1.4 trillion yuan ($175bn) over the next five years on protecting its environment.

The sum - equivalent to 1.5% of China's annual economic output - will be used to improve water quality, and cut air and land pollution and soil erosion.

Meanwhile, water supplies to the city of Hancheng in Shaanxi province were due to resume on Sunday, following an emergency when a nearby reservoir was polluted with 25 tonnes of caustic soda.

Officials brought in 10 tonnes of hydrochloric acid to neutralise the caustic soda, which was being carried by a tanker that fell into the Xuefeng reservoir on Friday, killing one person.

Here is one more example of Human recklessness...
Does this kinda of rapid progress serve any purpose other than hastening our death knell ?

Keshav Saini

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 31
May 23, 2011

Natural disasters are a normal event in earth's cycle for stabilization of disturbances that earth goes through.

Though human activities have increased the devastation and frequency of these natural disasters.

Well I have compiled a list on "Biggest Natural Disasters in Human History" that have taken place and caused heavy loss of man and material as part of one of my project.

If I am missing any event, please do update me.

-----

Keshav Saini
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Environment About::The Encyclopedia of Environment

Member Profile eabout PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Sam Anderson

Gender & Age: Female, 22
May 27, 2011

I think that natural disasters are in fact.... natural. Earth is only flowing in the never-ending cycle of life and death, create and destroy. We see it as a devastation that kills people, destroys homes, and ruins lives. And that still is a tragedy. However, this is just nature's way of making room for new life.
Personally, I think that atomic bombs and nuclear bombs are more of a curse from God.

Member Profile simplyrawgirl PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
simples145

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

City: Colchester
Jan 6, 2012

Well said Sam, I do not believe in a God that smites us with natural disasters. I do believe that we are running out of space to avoid them - too many people live in dangerous places now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
canvas prints

Member Profile simples145 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM