TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesEnvironmentNatural Disasters - God's curse or something else?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2
Author

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 33
Province/State: London (City of)
City: London
Re: Natural Disasters - God's curse or something else?
Jan 8, 2012

The trouble is, people think this world belongs to them and their imaginary friend in the sky and that any weird or terrible thing that happens is because they have upset their friend.

This, of course, is utter rot. The Earth is just another planet that goes on as do the others in the universe. True, man has a certain knack in messing the place up with his destructive and wasteful ways but typhoons, earthquakes, et al are just the adjustments of the planet. Just look at the terrible storms on Jupiter, is god practicing over there before he lets us have it? A big fat no.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Jo Devizes knows a womens website that is rather good.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile jodevizes PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Lenna Andrews

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

City: Singapore
Jan 15, 2012

I don’t know why when each time something bad happens, we have to blame it all on god. Occurrences and frequency of natural disasters are increasing and it is our own folly that pollutes the environment, causing imbalances and destruction that eventually led to all these.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
wastewater treatment

This post was edited on: 2012-01-22 at 10:57 AM by: Lenna Andrews

Member Profile Lenna PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
maria cruz

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Lipa
City: Rizal
Feb 18, 2012

For the past few months that I've been watching news, several natural disasters hit Mindanao area. There were flash floods and earthquake. I dont think its God's curse but rather a challenge for everyone to protect our environment and love it more.

Member Profile REDBUTTERFLY PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Caroline

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Female, 22
May 24, 2012

They are just the Earth doing its earthly things.

In some cases it is the effect of what we humans have done.

For example river floods are often encouraged by deforestation, because it increases surface run off to the rivers so they fill up too quickly and flood.

So you could say, natural disasters are Mother Earths comeback to what humans have done to her environment

Member Profile -Caroline- PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Kerry Burns

Poster Rank: Talkative

City: Lancaster
May 25, 2012

I'd be interested to know if anyone approaches this subject from the Metaphysical point of view.

The answers provided so far seem to place humanity in the role of victim -- either of a capricious God, our own foolishness, or blind chance.

We do not need to be victims.
The power is within us.

Followers of Gaia philosophy accept the earth as a single living breathing organism, of which we are part, and the Metaphysicist goes further by attributing to the collective consciousness all natural earthly phenomena.

Although these ideas challenge the roots of our understanding, and seem bizarre in the humdrum of the everyday world, they are relics of a former wisdom still traceable in the ancient annals of Hinduism, Australian Aborigines, Oriental thinking, and strangely - Quantum science.

For me, the answer to our environmental problems needs to be seen as a spiritual one.

We need to care.
We need to listen.
We need to love.

Member Profile Northman PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Kerry Burns

Poster Rank: Talkative

City: Lancaster
May 25, 2012

From opposite poles we find agreement prieten47, if only to a limited extent.

We agree that the ideas in question are bizarre.

I hope we have more in common than that.

Do you agree that atomic structure is similar to the universe in that it is mostly made up of the vast spaces between relatively tiny "solid" particles (which are themselves not solid either?)
Yet this is what we regard as solid matter...

I see nothing but common sense in your post, and respect the sincerity of your viewpoint -- you may have your feet planted firmly on the ground, but the ground we inhabit is not solid, and there is room in the cracks for many metaphysicists.

Since the universe is beyond my understanding, I'm content with a parable of my own creation. I add to it as I go, for none of it is my own original thought - and the only test is whether it sends me in the right direction.

Comparison with others' parables is usually futile.

From time to time, I find parallels amongst the thoughts of others, and for a while, the outcome can be greater than the sum of the parts.
That's why I'm here.

Member Profile Northman PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
ian rae

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Nov 14, 2013

Natural disasters overwhelmingly it's the poor who pay the highest price loss of life and what little belongings they had as long as we have production for profit instead of production for use this will continue with the technology we have today most if not all of these so called disasters can be avoided but alas there's no money in it yours for a moneyless stateless society.

Member Profile mullrae PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Farhad

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male, 65
Nov 28, 2014

Northman wrote:

I'd be interested to know if anyone approaches this subject from the Metaphysical point of view.

The answers provided so far seem to place humanity in the role of victim -- either of a capricious God, our own foolishness, or blind chance.

We do not need to be victims.
The power is within us.

Followers of Gaia philosophy accept the earth as a single living breathing organism, of which we are part, and the Metaphysicist goes further by attributing to the collective consciousness all natural earthly phenomena.

Although these ideas challenge the roots of our understanding, and seem bizarre in the humdrum of the everyday world, they are relics of a former wisdom still traceable in the ancient annals of Hinduism, Australian Aborigines, Oriental thinking, and strangely - Quantum science.

For me, the answer to our environmental problems needs to be seen as a spiritual one.

We need to care.
We need to listen.
We need to love.

Of course.
Farhad

Member Profile farhadmiriany PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Farhad

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male, 65
Nov 28, 2014

Some phenomena like earthquakes and Tsunamis are part of the Earth natural activities. Impacts of both may be controlled by human if human respects the nature.

Floods due to snow and rain could be controlled and even prevented if human obeys the natural rules.

Furthermore, all human findings of natural sciences are valid only until a new finding is accepted by the majority of scientists.
Farhad

Member Profile farhadmiriany PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM